Mathematica: Coupled differential equations

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual is experiencing an error when attempting to change the coefficients in their set of coupled ODEs, despite successfully obtaining a solution for specific coefficients. They have tried increasing the number of steps and ensuring correct syntax and initial conditions, but are still encountering the error. Suggestions for troubleshooting include checking equations and initial conditions, increasing the MaxSteps option, trying a different method, and consulting Mathematica documentation or seeking help from online resources.
Niles
Hi

I am trying so solve a set of coupled ODE's. I have been able to get a solution from Mathematica using NDSolve, but when I change the coefficients an error appears:

"NDSolve::mxst: Maximum number of 10000 steps reached at the point t == 0.0000748339914040257`. >>"

I have tried increasing the number of steps to 20.000, but that doesn't help. I know my syntax is correct, since I have been able to get a solution when setting the coefficients c0..c4 to 1 just as the initial conditions.

I have attached my notebook. Can I get a hint to what might be wrong?

Niles.

Attachments

• test.nb
    6 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Niles,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. It sounds like you have already made some progress with your ODEs and have been able to get a solution for specific coefficients. However, when you try to change the coefficients, you are running into an error. This could be due to a variety of reasons, and without seeing your notebook and the specific equations you are trying to solve, it is difficult for me to give a definitive answer. However, here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot and hopefully solve your issue:

1. Check your equations: Make sure that your equations are correctly written and that there are no typos or mistakes in the syntax. This could be the reason why you are getting an error when you change the coefficients.

2. Check the initial conditions: It is possible that the initial conditions you have set for your equations are causing the error when you change the coefficients. Make sure that the initial conditions are appropriate for the new coefficients you are using.

3. Increase the MaxSteps option: The error you are getting indicates that the maximum number of steps has been reached during the calculation. You can try increasing the MaxSteps option even further to see if that helps.

4. Try using a different method: Mathematica's NDSolve function has several methods for solving ODEs. You can try using a different method to see if that helps with your error.

5. Consult the Mathematica documentation: The Mathematica documentation for NDSolve is quite extensive and can be a valuable resource for troubleshooting errors. You can also try searching for similar issues on Mathematica forums or asking for help on the Mathematica Stack Exchange.

I hope these suggestions help you in solving your problem. If you are still unable to find a solution, please feel free to reach out again with more specific details and I will try my best to assist you further.

Best of luck with your research!

1. What is Mathematica and how is it used for solving coupled differential equations?

Mathematica is a computational software program that is commonly used by scientists and engineers for various mathematical calculations and analyses. It has a built-in function called NDSolve that can be used to numerically solve coupled differential equations.

2. What are coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are a set of differential equations where the variables in one equation depend on the variables in another equation. This creates a system of equations that are interdependent and must be solved simultaneously.

3. How do I input coupled differential equations into Mathematica?

You can input coupled differential equations into Mathematica by defining the variables, equations, and initial conditions using the appropriate syntax. The equations should be written in the form of f[x,y,t]==g[x,y,t], where f and g represent the derivatives of the variables x and y with respect to t.

4. Can Mathematica solve any type of coupled differential equations?

Mathematica can solve a wide range of coupled differential equations, including linear and nonlinear systems. However, the accuracy of the solutions may depend on the complexity of the equations and the chosen numerical method.

5. How can I visualize the solutions to coupled differential equations in Mathematica?

Mathematica has various built-in functions for visualizing the solutions to coupled differential equations. The most commonly used function is Plot, which can plot the solutions over a given time interval. Other functions, such as ParametricPlot and StreamPlot, can also be used to visualize the solutions in different ways.