Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica Evaluation Time

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    I am interested whether it is normal for the program Mathematica to eat 99% from my CPU when evaluating a notebook. Well, it is not just some notebook, but a notebook that contains five matrices, 63 520 entries each.
    It would be grate, if somebody has some information on this topic.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are running evaluations on these matrices that then doesn't sound too unlikely. If you aren't then it shouldn't eat up any processor power once they have been loaded, but would probably take up a chunk of ram.
  4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    I had the same thing happen on my computer. It's probably fairly normal.

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4
    Thank you!
    I spent some time yesterday reading posts and articles about Mathematica, and there was a guy who claimed to had waited for a notebook evaluation about 20 min. :bugeye:
  6. Oct 13, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.... if you for example start building longer scripts in mathematica it's not that uncommon and using Mathematica efficiently becomes important. Personally for example when doing post-processing of PDEs solved numerically we queue the drives as server batch jobs to appropriate hardware since notebooks can't really handle them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?