Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica FindRoot exploration of parameter space

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    I am solving three non-linear equations in three variables (H0D,H0S and H1S) using FindRoot. In addition to the three variables of interest, there are four parameters in these equations that I would like to be able to vary. My parameters and the range in which I want to vary them are as follows:
    Code (Text):
    $CF \in \{0,15\}$,$CR \in \{0,8\}$,$T \in \{0,0.35\}$,$H1R \in \{40,79\}$
    The problem is that my non-linear system may not have any solutions for part of this parameter range. What I basically want to ask is if there is a smart way to find out exactly what part of my parameter range admits real solutions.

I could run a FindRoot inside a loop but because of non-linearity, FindRoot is very sensitive to initial conditions so frequently error messages could be because of bad initial conditions rather than absence of a solution.

Is there a way for me to find out what parameter space works, short of plugging 10^4 combinations of parameter values by hand and playing around with the initial conditions and hoping that FindRoot gives me a solution?

Thanks a lot,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted