Mathematica: Fourier Transform by hand of sin

In summary, the built-in FourierTransform command in Mathematica is equivalent to taking the Fourier transform by hand, and the sqrt(π/2) factor appears because of the normalization condition.
aimforclarity
Hi,

i do not understand why i can find the FT of sin in mathematica using the built in function but not by integrating, even thoiugh they should be the same:

Integrate[Exp[i(ω-ω0) t,{t, -∞, ∞}, Assumptions ->ω0 el Reals && ω el Reals]

but the statement
FourierTransform[Sin[ω0 x], x, ω]
gives me the answer in dirac deltas
I Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta[ω - ω0] - I Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta[ω + ω0]

also i would be interested if you could explain to me from what condition the root 2pi appears before the FT, and how we can normalize plane waves to dirac Deltas.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier Transform of a function f(x) is given by F(ω) = Integral[f(x) exp(-iωx) dx, from -∞ to ∞]. The built-in FourierTransform[f(x), x, ω] command in Mathematica is equivalent to this integral. When you use the FourierTransform command on a sine wave, it will return a result written as I Sqrt[π/2] DiracDelta[ω - ω0] - I Sqrt[π/2] DiracDelta[ω + ω0]. This is because the Fourier transform of a sine wave is actually two delta functions, one at ω = ω0 and one at ω = -ω0. The sqrt(π/2) factor appears because the Fourier transform is normalized so that F(0) = 1. This means that after taking the Fourier transform, the original sine wave is represented by two delta functions that have a total area of 1 (by the definition of a Dirac delta function). So the Fourier transform of a sine wave is always normalized by multiplying it by sqrt(π/2). To normalize a plane wave, first take its Fourier transform and then divide by the square root of its energy; this will give you a normalized Fourier transform.

1. What is the Fourier Transform in Mathematica?

The Fourier Transform in Mathematica is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals and functions in the time and frequency domains. It converts a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain, allowing for easier analysis and manipulation of the signal.

2. How do I perform a Fourier Transform of a sine function in Mathematica?

To perform a Fourier Transform of a sine function in Mathematica, you can use the command FourierTransform[Sin[x], x, w], where Sin[x] is the sine function and x is the variable of integration. The result will be a function in the frequency domain, represented by w.

3. Can I perform a Fourier Transform by hand in Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to perform a Fourier Transform by hand in Mathematica. You can use the Integrate function to integrate the function in the time domain, and then use the FourierTransform function to convert it into the frequency domain.

4. What is the purpose of performing a Fourier Transform in Mathematica?

The purpose of performing a Fourier Transform in Mathematica is to analyze and manipulate signals and functions in the time and frequency domains. It is often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to study the behavior of systems and signals.

5. What are some applications of Fourier Transform in Mathematica?

The Fourier Transform in Mathematica has many applications, including signal processing, image processing, data analysis, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics to study the properties of waves and oscillations.