Mathematica Help

1. I want mathematica to evaluate a certain expression (see attached) assuming that n is an integer. The answer is far from what it produces. Maple produces the right answer but I don't have access to it.

The expression is

[tex]\frac{\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}|\sin(x)|\cos(nx)\dx}{\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\cos^2(nx)\dx}[/tex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. You need to put a space between your n and x. Mathematica is treating nx as a single variable, which explains the funky result.

4. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

One other thing to try...I don't have Mathematica in front of me here at work, but I do remember also reading an article about Mathematica getting into a bit of trouble in some cases when using the sybolic integration sign. If Stephan's tip doesn't help, you may try using "Integrate" instead of the symbolic operator.

5. radou

radou 3,217
    Homework Helper

Use '*' everywhere, to avoid possible problems. Doesn't look nice, though, but nevermind.

6. The error was the missing *. Thanks for the help.

7. radou

radou 3,217
    Homework Helper

Yes. But note that, as someone above stated, you can simply use the space bar instead of '*'. Mathematica will produce a small space between the two object that are multiplied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?