1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica Help

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    I need mathematica to plot

[tex]y=\frac{(a_0+a_1)\beta}{\beta^2-a_0a_1}[/tex] by assuming that [tex]a_0<0,a_1<0,-a_0-a_1<a_0a_1\pi[/tex].

by telling it to ignore the singularities, etc, but it keeps telling me that beta is not a machine sized real number at blah.

Also, how do I specify a range (ie, y from -10 to 10) in Mathematica?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    the problem is that you're using the constants that aren't numbers. i don't think mathematica will do that. use the help browser for plot, i think the command should be something like [Plot, function, {x,a,b}, {c,d}] or something like that, where the things in the fancy brakets give yr range/domain. i hate mathematica, so double check in the help browser.

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    So I'd have to set a0 and a1 to some fixed real value? This defeats the purpose of my trying to solve a PDE using graphical methods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?