Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica help

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Is there anybody who can help me about Mathematica?
    I just bought it and i cant find command so i could see whole process of solving not just result.
    For example: a^2+b^2=c^2
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you please explain what you want in more detail?
  4. Nov 8, 2004 #3
    I want to see whole process how it came to the result
    It always gives me only result but i dont know how did it get it
  5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    I wont to see it like this
    and not like this
  6. Nov 8, 2004 #5
    Er... Why?

Either way, most calculations in Mathematica are quite complex, so I doubt there'd be a way to convince it to show each step.

7. Nov 9, 2004 #6
    Because of that they are complex i need each step
  8. Nov 9, 2004 #7

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mathmatica is not set up to show intermediate results in that way. And in fact, some of the ways that it solves even simple problems are conceptually very complex, due to the way that the symbolic manipulation system is programmed.
  9. Nov 9, 2004 #8
    That's right. All it's ever going to give you is the answer and just that.
  10. Nov 10, 2004 #9
    Is there any other program which can do that ??
  11. Nov 10, 2004 #10
    Unfortunately, you'll have to do the intermediate steps on your own by hand with pencil and paper.

12. Nov 10, 2004 #11
    Now, isn't that more fun than having a computer do it for you?
  13. Nov 11, 2004 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

There are some tutoring systems for math that show the intermediate steps, but only for a some limited number of "problem shemes".

Instead of going over the trouble (and expense) of buying such programs and learning how to properly use them, you may be much better off just doing the calculations yourself.

Programs like Mathematica and Maple are useful to check intermediate steps when you already know which to do. For instance, if you need to multiply two big polynomials as part of the solution for a problem, you may want to check your result before proceeding further. Mathematica will not show the procedure for the multiplication, but it will give you the correct result for that kind of tedious operation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?