Mathematica - ListPlot3D - Any help much appreciated

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter ashokmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the person is asking for help to create a 3D graph using the function "compStrats". The x and y axis should have values from 0 to 1, while the z axis should show the output from the function. They also mention wanting to plot specific index values and provide an example of how the values should be shown. They hope someone can assist them with this task.
ashokmittal
I would be most grateful if someone could help me. Basically, it would be a good idea to open up the attachment (paste into Mathematica) and then read on.

Notice that “compStrats” is a function that in effect creates a list from a table.

You would also notice that the output is in a funny matrix form with quite a few “{“’s.

I was wondering if someone would adjust the code, or add a function (preferably using ListPlot3D) that could create a 3D graph with the following.

x axis: the parameter values as stated in compStrats, i.e. from 0 to 1
y axis: the parameter values as stated in compStrats, i.e. from 0 to 1
z axis: output – where it can be generalised which index values we want to plot, so if I wanted the first value of each output, it would graph -2, -2, 1, and so on, and vice versa.

As an example: the upper left value is x = 0, y = 0, z = -2 (by taking first value)

I think that the y increments for each x, but I may be wrong. I hope someone knows what I want to do.

Thanks

Attachments

• 3DPlotPractice.doc
    25 KB · Views: 203
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:

This can be done with the following code:

compStrats = Table[{x, y, -2 x + 2 y + 1, -1 x + y + 1}, {x, 0, 1, 0.01}, {y, 0, 1, 0.01}];

ListPlot3D[compStrats[[All, All, {1,2,3}]]]

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and providing the code and specific instructions for what you would like to achieve. I would be happy to assist you with this.

To create a 3D graph using the ListPlot3D function, you will need to first modify the output of the "compStrats" function. Currently, it is creating a list in a matrix form which is not compatible with the ListPlot3D function. You will need to use the Flatten function to convert the matrix into a list.

Once you have the output in the desired format, you can use the ListPlot3D function to create a 3D graph. Here is an example of the code you can use:

ListPlot3D[Flatten[compStrats], PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "z"}]

This will create a 3D graph with the x and y values ranging from 0 to 1 and the z values being the output of the compStrats function. You can also specify which index values you want to plot by using the Part function. For example, if you want to plot the first value of each output, you can use:

ListPlot3D[Flatten[compStrats[[All, All, 1]]], PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "z"}]

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to provide a more specific solution.

1. What is Mathematica and how is it related to ListPlot3D?

Mathematica is a commercial software program used for mathematical and scientific calculations and visualizations. ListPlot3D is a built-in function in Mathematica that allows for the creation of three-dimensional scatter plots and surface plots from data sets.

2. How do I use ListPlot3D in Mathematica?

To use ListPlot3D, you will need to first import your data set into Mathematica. Then, you can use the ListPlot3D function and specify your data set as the input. You can also customize the appearance of the plot by adjusting parameters such as color, size, and labeling.

3. Can ListPlot3D handle large data sets?

Yes, ListPlot3D is designed to handle large data sets efficiently. However, the performance may vary depending on the complexity of the data and your computer's processing power. It is recommended to use ListPlot3D on a computer with a strong processor and enough memory to handle large data sets.

4. Are there any limitations to the types of data that can be used with ListPlot3D?

ListPlot3D is versatile and can handle various types of data, including numerical, symbolic, and categorical data. However, it is important to ensure that your data is properly formatted and organized to work with the function. For example, the data should be in a list format with consistent dimensions.

5. Can I export ListPlot3D plots to other file formats?

Yes, you can export ListPlot3D plots to various file formats such as PDF, JPEG, and PNG. This can be done by using the Export function in Mathematica. You can also adjust the resolution and size of the exported plot to meet your needs.