Mathematica modelling question

In summary, the conversation discusses using Mathematica to find the eigenvalues of a matrix representing a biological system. The output of Mathematica includes a Root object, which indicates that the solution is the root of a complex function. There is also mention of using ToRadicals[] and Simplify[] to simplify the expression.
senan
I'm kinda of messing around with a model of a biological system, I've found the equilibriums and decided I'd get the stability relations as well. I tried using mathematica to get the eigenvalues of the system to see if its stable or not and when I got the eigenvalues of my matrix mathematica kicked this back at me.

Root[a^2 *b^2*d*e^2 *m + 2 *a^3 *b *d*e *t *m + a^4 *d *t^2 *m + a*b^3 *g *d
*e *r+ a^2*b^2 *g*d*t*r + (a^2 *b^2d*e^2*m +a*b^2*e^3 *m + a^3 *b*d*e*t*m + 3a^2 *b*e^2*t*m +
2a^3 *e*t^2*m + a*b^3g*d*e*r) #1 + (b^3 *e^3*r +a*b^2 *e^2 *t*r) #1^2 + b^3*e^3*r #1^3 &, 1]

i know the # marks mean to input the function at address 1 in this case but seeing as i got the eigenvalues of a 3x3 matrix what would that be in this case

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically it tries to tell you that the answer you are looking for is the solution of f(x) = 0 for some complicated f(x), but that it cannot solve that expression for x.

Sometimes, but not always it is possible to get the explicit form of a Root object in terms of radicals.

To do this wrap a ToRadicals[] around your Root object and in this example MMA can find it, but the result is more than triple the size. Simplify[] on that can reduce it down to something a little more than double the original size.

Thanks for ye're replies. I think I'm going to have to go back and try and simplify th system a bit it. Hopefully I can reduce it down further by adjusting a few terms

It seems like you are trying to use Mathematica to calculate the eigenvalues of a biological system. The output you received is in the form of a root function, which represents the roots of a polynomial equation. In this case, the # marks indicate that the function is dependent on the value of the input, which is 1 in this case. This is because the eigenvalues of a matrix are calculated by solving the characteristic equation, which is a polynomial equation. Therefore, the output you received is the roots of the characteristic equation for your system. In order to determine the stability of your system, you can use the eigenvalues to calculate the stability relations, as you mentioned. I suggest consulting with a mathematician or a biologist to confirm the accuracy of your model and to assist you in interpreting the results.

What is Mathematica modelling?

Mathematica modelling is the process of using the Mathematica software to create mathematical models of systems or phenomena. These models can be used to simulate and analyze complex systems, and make predictions and observations about their behavior.

How do I get started with Mathematica modelling?

To get started with Mathematica modelling, you will need to have access to the Mathematica software. You can purchase a license or use the free Wolfram Engine for Developers. Once you have the software, you can begin learning the syntax and functions specific to Mathematica modelling.

What are the benefits of using Mathematica for modelling?

Mathematica offers a wide range of built-in functions and tools specifically designed for mathematical modelling. It also has a user-friendly interface and supports various types of data and visualization. Additionally, Mathematica has a large community of users and resources available for support and assistance.

What types of systems can be modelled using Mathematica?

Mathematica can be used to model a variety of systems, including physical systems, biological systems, economic systems, and more. It is a versatile tool that can handle complex and dynamic systems with ease.

How accurate are Mathematica models?

The accuracy of a Mathematica model depends on the quality of the data used and the assumptions made in the modeling process. With proper data and assumptions, Mathematica models can provide highly accurate predictions and insights into the behavior of the system being modeled.