Mathematica + multi thread

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Mathematica's code with multi-threading for increasing efficiency and capacity. The speaker shares their personal experience with using inbuilt parallelization on multi-core systems and how they turn their code into a Mathematica package to run on a cluster. They also mention a helpful resource for parallel computing in Mathematica.
sukharef
Hello?
Has somebody used or has experience about using Mathematica's code with multi threading for increasing it's capacity and efficiency or smth like this?
My personal computer hasn't enough capacity to calculate all i need so now I'm looking for using Math on cluster.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I use inbuilt parallelization in Mathematica on multi core systems, do you have a specific question? What I do is turn the code i want to run into a single block that can be run in one go and turn it into a Mathematica package with the only cell being an initialization cell. Then you can ssh into the cluster you have that file on and run the Math Kernel, load the package and it will run.

FunkyDwarf said:
I use inbuilt parallelization in Mathematica on multi core systems, do you have a specific question? What I do is turn the code i want to run into a single block that can be run in one go and turn it into a Mathematica package with the only cell being an initialization cell. Then you can ssh into the cluster you have that file on and run the Math Kernel, load the package and it will run.

My question is how to orgainize this process actually. Maybe there is a manual for it.

1. What is Mathematica's multi-threading capability?

Mathematica has the ability to run multiple calculations simultaneously using different CPU cores. This allows for faster computation and optimization of resources.

2. How do I enable multi-threading in Mathematica?

To enable multi-threading, you can use the "Parallelize" function or specify the number of threads to use in the "ParallelTable" function. You can also set the number of threads in the "Preferences" menu under "Parallel Options".

3. Is there a limit to the number of threads I can use in Mathematica?

The number of threads you can use in Mathematica depends on your computer's hardware and the type of calculation you are performing. It is recommended to start with a small number of threads and increase it gradually to find the optimal performance for your specific task.

4. Can I use multi-threading for all types of calculations in Mathematica?

Multi-threading is most effective for tasks that can be easily divided into smaller, independent calculations. Some functions in Mathematica are not parallelizable and will not benefit from multi-threading.

5. How do I know if my calculations are running in parallel?

You can use the "ParallelTable" function and specify a print statement to see if multiple threads are being used. Alternatively, you can use the "ParallelSubmit" function to submit tasks to different threads and monitor their progress using the "WaitAll" function.