MATHEMATICA, with a triple sum

In summary, the speaker is having difficulty solving a summation problem and is looking for help. They have provided the problem and have attempted to use built-in sum functions but are not getting the desired result. They are wondering if there is a missing function or a way to simplify the problem. They mention a possible solution using Limit, but caution that it may not be a valid change to the problem.
ggold1
I'm having trouble solving this summation and was wondering if anyone could put me on the right track. Here's the problem below, I've also attached a pdf of it.

Sum from 1 to infinity in steps of 2 for l, m, and n:((-1)^((m - 1)/2))*(m/(n^2 + l^2 + m^2))

I've tried using the built in sum functions

Sum[((-1)^((m - 1)/2))*(m/(n^2 + l^2 + m^2)),{l,1,Infinity,2},{m,1,Infinity,2},{n,1,Infinity,2}]

but mathematica continuously sums this and never reaches an approximation. Is there any function I'm missing or a way to simplify this?

Attachments

• Sum Problem.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 236
Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes something like this will give you a result
Limit[Sum[((-1)^((m-1)/2))*(m/(n^2+l^2+m^2)), {l,1,i, 2}, {m,1,i,2}, {n,1,i,2}], i -> Infinity]
but you need to carefully consider whether that is a valid change to your problem.

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a programming language and software used for mathematical and scientific computing. It includes a wide range of built-in functions and capabilities for performing complex calculations, visualizing data, and solving equations.

2. How is a triple sum implemented in Mathematica?

In Mathematica, a triple sum can be implemented using the Sum function with three independent variables and a specified expression to be summed over. For example, Sum[f[i,j,k],{i,1,n},{j,1,m},{k,1,p}] would represent a triple sum with the variables i, j, and k each ranging from 1 to their respective limits n, m, and p.

3. What are some common applications of Mathematica's triple sum?

Triple sums are commonly used in mathematics and physics to calculate triple integrals, which can represent physical quantities such as volume, mass, and moment of inertia. They are also used in statistical analysis and optimization problems.

4. Can Mathematica handle large triple sums?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of handling large and complex triple sums efficiently. It uses advanced algorithms and optimizations to speed up calculations and can also take advantage of multicore processors for parallel computing.

5. How can I learn more about using triple sums in Mathematica?

There are many online resources available for learning about triple sums in Mathematica, including tutorials, documentation, and forums. The official Wolfram website also offers various training courses and certifications for using Mathematica and its features, including triple sums.