1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica problem - please help!

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    I'm very new to mathematica and have been trying to use it for solving differential eqns. I've done a simple equation and managed to do a plot of it which looks correct. All day i've been trying to get findroot to work so i can find the exact point at which it crosses the x-axis but keep having problems. Attached is a screenshot of what i've done. If anyone can help i'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2
    Fortunately for you and I, the problem is as simple as could be: In mathematica, rules only assign values during the instance you use them. What I mean is, everytime you want mathematica to recognize Phi(t) as the solution to your differential equation, you have to include

Phi(t)/.Simpletreb

NDSolve gives a rule as output. You named the rule simpletreb (sp?). What I mean is that your must change your code to this:

FindRoot[Phi(t)/.simpletreb,{t,.2}]

4. Apr 22, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated. You can tell i'm new to this. I've been trying everything for days now. Problem solved! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?