Mathematica Real Part

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter joshmccraney
  • Start date
joshmccraney
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi PF!

I have some variables that are all real, and I have a few ##i##s, all in a fraction. When I ask Mathematica to give me the real part of the entire fraction, ##Re[]##, it simply echoes my input, not giving me anything useful. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

phyzguy
Science Advisor
Can you post the code?

joshmccraney
Gold Member
Last line is output

Looks fine to me. Apparently the expression doesn’t simplify much

phyzguy
Science Advisor
You could try using ComplexExpand:
MM.png

Attachments

joshmccraney
Gold Member
You could try using ComplexExpand:
View attachment 221008
Yea I've tried this before. I should have been more specific: see what I want is the real component without any imaginary numbers. Like multiplying by the conjugate and simplifying. Do you know if there a built in function that does this?

phyzguy
Science Advisor
Yea I've tried this before. I should have been more specific: see what I want is the real component without any imaginary numbers. Like multiplying by the conjugate and simplifying. Do you know if there a built in function that does this?
Look again at my post. That's what ComplexExpand does. There are no "i's" in the final answer.

Likes joshmccraney
joshmccraney
Gold Member
Look again at my post. That's what ComplexExpand does. There are no "i's" in the final answer.
Ohhhhh shooot, sorry! I saw the variable ##\lambda i## and thought there was an ##i## in the solution. Sorry and thanks!