Exporting Multiple Variables from Mathematica to MATLAB - Quick and Easy Guide

In summary, the conversation is about exporting two matrices, A and B, from Mathematica into MATLAB. The individual is able to export one variable successfully but is unsure how to export two at a time and how to directly export into MATLAB's workspace. They have searched for solutions on various websites and found a reference on MathWorks but were unable to find a solution. They also mention using RosettaCode.org as a reference and finding a conversion tool for snippets, but it may not work for more complex code.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm trying to export two matrices ##A## and ##B## from Mathematica into MATLAB. I can export one just fine; so far what I write is

Code:
SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]]
Export["data.mat", {A}]

Do you know how I can export two variables at a time and then how I can export directly into MATLAB's workspace rather than have to click on the .mat file and upload manually? I have a mac if that's relevant.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't find any reference to Mathematica at CodeProZone and the Matlab link had nothing posted either so its a no go.

RosettaCode.org is a better reference

https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Mathematica

https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:MATLAB

Pick a solved task and then use the links to compare how it was solved using the selected language. From there you can piece together how to do your conversion.

NOTE: not all solutions are optimal or guaranteed to work.

I also found a conversion tool for snippets:

https://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/577/

and here's some commentary on using the ToMatlab() tool:

https://comp.soft-sys.matlab.narkive.com/5KrdC51S/mathematica-to-matlab-file-conversion

which doesn't look promising for more complex code.

1. What is the process for exporting multiple variables from Mathematica to MATLAB?

The process for exporting multiple variables from Mathematica to MATLAB involves first creating a list or array of the variables you want to export. Then, you can use the "Export" function in Mathematica to save the variables as a .mat file, which can be read by MATLAB.

2. Can I export both numerical and symbolic variables from Mathematica to MATLAB?

Yes, you can export both numerical and symbolic variables from Mathematica to MATLAB. However, you may need to convert symbolic variables to numerical values before exporting them to ensure they can be read correctly by MATLAB.

3. Are there any limitations to the size or type of variables that can be exported from Mathematica to MATLAB?

There are no specific limitations on the size or type of variables that can be exported from Mathematica to MATLAB. However, it is important to be aware of the memory and compatibility constraints of both programs to ensure successful exporting.

4. Can I export variables from a specific Mathematica notebook or session to MATLAB?

Yes, you can specify the notebook or session from which you want to export variables by using the "NotebookDirectory" or "NotebookFileName" options in the "Export" function. This allows you to export only the variables from a specific notebook or session.

5. Is there a way to automatically update the exported variables in MATLAB when the source variables change in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the "Export" function with the "Update" option to automatically update the exported variables in MATLAB when the source variables change in Mathematica. This ensures that you always have the most up-to-date data in MATLAB.