Comparing Mathematica & Maple: Which is Better for Students?

In summary: WarrenWhat a novel idea! I haven't met him yet, but I assumption he'll be at the department orientation next week. Hey! I could even ask some of the other grad students who have had these classes! - WarrenWow...talking to actual live people about things rather than posting on a message board...wonderful idea...
sparkster
At the undergrad school I attended, they used Mathematica. I found a copy of the student edition selling for $20 in the book store, so I bought, upgraded to 4.2 for $40 and was a happy math student.

The grad school I'm starting at next week uses Maple. I can get the student version for $112 through the campus computer store.

Now I've never used Maple, so I was wondering if it was better, or even all that different. I already have a good math program, so I really don't want to invest in another one.

Any comments/advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maple is probably a bit "prettier" than Mathematica, but, if you're already used to Mathematica and are not doing any sort of computations that are outside the capabilities of Mathematica, there's no reason (IMO) to switch. It will be easy to translate between Maple input and Mathematica input.

- Warren

chroot said:
Maple is probably a bit "prettier" than Mathematica, but, if you're already used to Mathematica and are not doing any sort of computations that are outside the capabilities of Mathematica, there's no reason (IMO) to switch. It will be easy to translate between Maple input and Mathematica input.

- Warren
So I do some stuff on my home computer and, for some reason, want to do something with it at school, it wouldn't be difficult? Or did I misunderstand you?

Well, there's no automatic translation from Maple to Matlab notebooks, but it's easy enough to do. Both programs offer a lot of the exact same tools, but sometimes call them by different names. The syntax is also very different, but neither is really that hard to learn.

Beware that if your professor has written any sort of Maple packages that you must use to do your work, you're going to be out of luck with Mathematica.

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, there's no automatic translation from Maple to Matlab notebooks, but it's easy enough to do. Both programs offer a lot of the exact same tools, but sometimes call them by different names. The syntax is also very different, but neither is really that hard to learn.

Beware that if your professor has written any sort of Maple packages that you must use to do your work, you're going to be out of luck with Mathematica.

- Warren
Yeah, that's the main thing that I was worried about. I'd much rather be at my house working on stuff than at the computer lab. Although, I am studying pure math, so I'm not sure how much I'll need to worry about all this. I'm taking a linear algebra class, and as an undergrad, my linear prof included mathematica assignments. I'm assuming that the grad class will focus more on theory and less on application.

I'd say the best thing to do is simply call up your prof and ask him. :smile:

- Warren

chroot said:
I'd say the best thing to do is simply call up your prof and ask him. :smile:

- Warren
What a novel idea! I haven't met him yet, but I assume he'll be at the department orientation next week. Hey! I could even ask some of the other grad students who have had these classes!

Wow...talking to actual live people about things rather than posting on a message board...wonderful idea...

1. What are the main differences between Mathematica and Maple?

The main difference between Mathematica and Maple is their underlying approach to problem solving. Mathematica is based on symbolic computation, where numbers and equations are represented as symbols and manipulated algebraically. Maple, on the other hand, is based on numeric computation, where numbers are represented as actual numerical values and manipulated using algorithms. Additionally, Mathematica has a more user-friendly interface and supports a wider range of mathematical functions compared to Maple.

2. Which software is more suitable for students?

This largely depends on the individual student's needs and preferences. Mathematica is generally considered more beginner-friendly because of its user-friendly interface and ease of use. It also has a larger community and more resources available for learning. However, Maple is often preferred by students studying engineering or scientific fields due to its strong numeric computation capabilities.

3. Can both Mathematica and Maple be used for the same types of calculations?

Yes, both Mathematica and Maple are capable of performing a wide range of mathematical calculations, including algebraic, numeric, and symbolic computations. However, the approach to solving these calculations may differ between the two software.

4. Which software is more commonly used in the scientific community?

Both Mathematica and Maple are widely used in the scientific community, but it ultimately depends on the specific field or application. Mathematica is more commonly used in fields such as physics and mathematics, while Maple is often preferred in engineering and chemistry.

5. Can Mathematica and Maple be used together?

Yes, it is possible to use both Mathematica and Maple together in the same project. In fact, many scientists and researchers use multiple software programs to complement each other's strengths. There are also tools available to convert code between the two software, making it easier to use both in the same project.