Mathematical Biology: Exploring Biology & Physics Combined

In summary, Mathematical Biology is a multidisciplinary field that uses mathematical tools to study various aspects of biology, and it can be similar to Biological Physics in some ways.
jmason52
I have just started back to school studying math and physics prior to chasing an advanced degree when I retire in two years (yeah, but that's a whole nother topic). My original BS was in Biology, and I would like to do research that includes that science. So, as I was looking over a local university flyer for their math graduate dept, I noticed that one of the fields was Mathematical Biology. Can someone give me an idea of what that might be? Is it along the same lines as Biological Physics? Thanks, and btw, this is really a great forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical biology is the application of mathematical techniques and models to study biological systems. This includes a range of topics from population dynamics and evolutionary biology, to cellular and molecular biology, to biophysics and physiology. Examples of mathematical models used in this field include dynamical systems theory, network theory, information theory, agent-based modeling, and stochastic processes. As with any mathematical model, these models aim to simplify the complexity of biological systems in order to better understand them.

1. What is mathematical biology?

Mathematical biology is a field that combines principles and methods from mathematics and biology to study and understand complex biological systems. It uses mathematical models and computational tools to analyze and predict the behavior of living organisms and their interactions.

2. How is mathematics used in biology?

Mathematics is used in biology to quantify and describe biological processes and phenomena. It helps in understanding the underlying mechanisms and patterns in biological data, and making predictions about the behavior of living systems. Mathematical models are also used to test hypotheses and design experiments in biology.

3. What are some applications of mathematical biology?

Mathematical biology has various applications, including understanding the spread of diseases, predicting population dynamics, studying genetic and evolutionary processes, and analyzing ecological systems. It also has applications in biotechnology, medicine, and conservation biology.

4. What are some subfields of mathematical biology?

Some subfields of mathematical biology include population biology, systems biology, bioinformatics, mathematical ecology, and mathematical epidemiology. Each subfield focuses on a specific aspect of biology and uses mathematical tools and techniques to study it.

5. What skills are needed to work in mathematical biology?

To work in mathematical biology, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, differential equations, and statistics. It is also essential to have a good understanding of biology concepts and data analysis techniques. Programming skills and critical thinking abilities are also valuable for working in this field.