Mathematical Demonstration - Lenses in contact

In summary, the conversation was about a person seeking help with a math equation for focal distance of two lenses in a physics class. They had tried using the lens equation for the first and second lens but were unsure of how to solve for the image from the first lens and how the second lens would act on it. Someone suggested considering two lenses that are a distance d apart and seeing what happens when d tends to zero, which led the person to finally understanding the equation.
ToTalk
Hi, I have been working on this for a little while and think I am approaching it incorrectly. If someone can help, I'd really appreciate it. This is for a basic introductory calculus based Physics class that I am in.

1. Mathematically demonstrate the following equation with no numerical examples

2. [tex] \frac{1}{f_{c}} = \frac{1}{f_{1}} + \frac{1}{f_{2}} [/tex] - This is the equation for the focal distance of two touching thin lenses.

3. I have tried using the lens equation for the first and second lens, and solving for a distance of zero between them, but i can't figure out how to solve for where the image from the first lens would be, and therefore how the second lens would act on it

Thanks Very Much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remove the slash before the 1 in the tex code. Try considering two lenses that are a distance d apart and having a look what happens. Wneh you have an equation for that see waht happens when d tends to zero.

Hi Kurdt,

Thanks for the info.

Are you talking about this:

[tex] \frac{f_2 (d - f_1) } { d - (f_1 +f_2) } [/tex]

If so, I had seen that, but I am unsure of how to get to that from the given equation.

Thanks

I am referring to that equation. Now as I say if you let d tend to zero you will obtain the equation you are after. I trust you know how to get to the equation with d.

Just got it. For some reason I distributed d to both terms in the numerator instead of [tex] f_{2} [/tex].

Thanks for your help.

1. What is a mathematical demonstration?

A mathematical demonstration is a logical and rigorous argument that uses mathematical principles and concepts to prove a statement or theorem. It involves a step-by-step process of reasoning and deduction to arrive at a conclusion.

2. How are lenses in contact related to mathematical demonstration?

In mathematics, lenses in contact refer to the study of optical systems where two or more lenses are placed in contact with each other. This topic often involves the use of mathematical demonstrations to prove properties and relationships between the lenses and the light rays passing through them.

3. What are the key elements of a mathematical demonstration?

The key elements of a mathematical demonstration include: a clear statement of the problem or theorem, a set of assumptions and definitions, a logical and systematic argument using mathematical principles and concepts, and a conclusion that follows from the previous steps.

4. Why are mathematical demonstrations important in science?

Mathematical demonstrations are important in science because they provide a rigorous and reliable way to prove and validate scientific theories and concepts. They also help to establish a clear and precise understanding of complex phenomena and relationships.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when constructing a mathematical demonstration?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a mathematical demonstration include: making assumptions without proper justification, skipping steps in the reasoning process, using incorrect or incomplete mathematical concepts, and failing to clearly state and prove the conclusion. It is important to carefully check and review each step of the demonstration to ensure its validity.