How can we prove that p(n) is true for all integers n with 1 <= n < v.size()?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proposition p(n): v.at(n) => 11 + n, and how to prove its truth for all integers n with 1 <= n < v.size(). It is explained that the proposition is true for n = 1 based on the given statements about v being sorted and no two items being the same. The discussion then moves on to the use of induction to prove the proposition for all n, with the suggestion that v.at(n) > v.at(n-1) can be used as the inductive hypothesis. However, there is still some struggle in understanding how to put the proof together.
ZERO_COOL
I cannot get my head around this at all.

Suppose that v is of type Vector of Integers and we know the following:-

1. v is sorted.
2. No two items in v are the same.
3. v.at(1) is 12.

For an integer n, where 1 <= n <= v.size(), let p(n) be the following proposition: p(n): v.at(n) => 11 + n.

A. Explain why p(1) is true?
B. suppose that p(k - 1) is true (where 1 < k <= v.size()). Explain why p(k) must then be true.
C. Complete a proof that p(n) is true for all integers n with 1 <= n < v.size().

For A. I have,

In plain English the proposition means,
The n at position n in v is greater than or equal to 11 + n.

Let n = 1.

P(1): v.at(1) ≥ 11 + 1 = 12. (B)

From statement 3 which indicates v.at(1) is 12 and statement 2 which indicates no two items in v are the same, the above statement proves p(1) is true.

I'm struggling with the Inductive hypothesis (question b).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try using the facts that v is sorted and no two elements of v are the same. What does this tell you?

This tells me that:-

Let n = 2.

P(2): v.at(1) ≥ 11 + 2 = 13. (B)
P(3): v.at(1) ≥ 11 + 3 = 14. (B)
P(4): v.at(1) ≥ 11 + 4 = 15. (B)
P(5): v.at(1) ≥ 11 + 5 = 16. (B)

If they are sorted and no two are the same, doesn't this mean that v.at(n)>v.at(n-1)?

Yes it does.

Given that v is sorted and no item in the vector is identical then:-

v.at(n) > v.at(n - 1).

Where does p(k - 1) come into play?

I'm still struggling to work this out, so any help appreciated.

Since they are integers and v.at(n)>v.at(n-1), then v.at(n)>=v.at(n-1)+1. Can't you then work by induction?

What your saying makes sense to me, I understand it. I'm not sure how p(k - 1) comes into play. I fairly sure I'm learning from bad text because the book is based entirely on using mathematical induction as proof for recurrence systems. Yet this question doesn't involve a recurrence system. I've tried looking for induction learning material but nothing I've come across really helps.

Still struggling with this, feel as though I'm banging my head against a brick wall. I'm not sure how to put it all together into a meaningful proof.

What is mathematical induction proof?

Mathematical induction proof is a method of proving that a statement or formula is true for all natural numbers by showing that it is true for the first number (usually 1) and then proving that if it is true for any number, it must also be true for the next number.

Why is mathematical induction proof important?

Mathematical induction proof is important because it allows us to prove statements or formulas that hold true for an infinite number of natural numbers. It is an essential tool in many mathematical proofs and is used in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics.

What are the steps involved in a mathematical induction proof?

The steps involved in a mathematical induction proof are:
1. Prove the statement is true for the first number (usually 1).
2. Show that if the statement is true for any number, it must also be true for the next number.
3. Conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a mathematical induction proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a mathematical induction proof are:
1. Not proving the statement is true for the first number.
2. Assuming the statement is true for the next number without proving it.
3. Using circular reasoning.
4. Not considering the base case.
5. Making incorrect or unsupported assumptions.

Can mathematical induction be used to prove all statements?

No, mathematical induction cannot be used to prove all statements. It can only be used for statements that are true for all natural numbers, and it may not be applicable for other types of statements, such as statements involving real or complex numbers.