1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical induction proof

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    Hello everybody,
    I am doing my reading lately to prepare for some exams to join a mathematics department.

And I would very much like, if anyone could help, the solution (or a hint) to the following induction proof.

" Show that n^3 + (n+1)^3 + (n+2)^3 is a multiple of 9 "

:smile:

I can deal with proofs that say " *this* is divisible with *that* " but in that case I have no clue how to start.

I have noone to ask for help ... but you in the forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Show it's true for the base case n=1, then assume it's true for n=k, that is

[tex]k^3+(k+1)^3+(k+2)^3 = 9M[/tex]

where M is an integer, now prove it's true for n=k+1,

[tex](k+1)^3+(k+2)^3+(k+3)^3=9N[/tex]

So what you need to do is show that N is an integer as well. You'll need to make a substitution from the equation you assumed to get anywhere.

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the answer,

Okay, here is my solution. I thought that at the problem defintion "is divisible by" and "is a multiple of" makes a huge difference.

The base case is obvious.

Let that the statement holds for n=k, that is,
    [tex]k^3+(k+1)^3+(k+2)^3[/tex] is a multiple of 9.
    We will then show that it holds for n=k+1, that is [tex](k+1)^3+(k+2)^3+(k+3)^3[/tex] is a multiple of 9.

We have,
    [tex]k^3+(k+1)^3+(k+2)^3+(k+3)^3-k^3=9M+(k+3)^3-k^3[/tex],
    So what we want to show is that [tex](k+3)^3-k^3[/tex] is also a multiple of 9.
    By using the formula [tex]a^3-b^3=(a-b)(a^2+b^2+ab)[/tex] we can reach our goal.

5. Nov 26, 2011 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Nicely done. The only thing I would add is to specifically state that the equation you assumed is equal to 9M, rather than telling us in words that it's a multiple of 9. This way there is no disputing anything when you make the substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook