1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical induction

1. Dec 5, 2003 #1
    Induction Hypothesis:

In fact pa is true for all integers n greater than a particular base value and you should complete the proof given below to use the principle of mathematical induction to prove this.

pa : n-2 < (n^2 – 3n)/12

Base case is n = 14
    Because: n-2 < (n^2 – 3n)/12
    14-2 < (196-42)/12
    12 < 154/12
    12 < 12.83

Inductive step
    Inductive Hypothesis : Assume pa(k) is true for k > 14. Thus k-2 <(k^2 – 3k)/12.

We must prove that pa(k+1) is true i.e. that (k+1)-2 < ((k+1)^2 – 3(k+1))/12

Now to prove such an inequality we always start with the more complicated side:
    ((k+1)^2 – 3(k+1))/12 = (k^2 + 2k +1 – 3k – 3)/12

= (k^2 – 3k)/12 + (2k-2)/12

> ....?... + (2k-2)/12 ____because

> ......??......... because

the dotted white line need to be filled in and the because u have to give reasons....

This is the question i have been given to do although no idea on how to finish it any ideas anyone ?

thanks

ok i changed it to 14 although not sure yet on how to finish it, this for me is just baffling

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2003 #2
    It should be "Assume pa(k) is true for some k >= 14 "

What does the induction hypothesis tell you ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?