Math Problem: Proving n! >= 2^(n-1) with Mathematical Induction

In summary: So we have shown that for n\geq 1 we have \ln (n!) \geq (n-1)\ln (2) Thus, for n\geq 1 we have n! \geq 2^{n-1} which is exactly what we wanted.In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for proving the inequality n! >= 2^(n-1), with one person attempting to use induction and another offering a simpler method using logarithms. It is pointed out that the base case is missing in the induction proof and that the RHS of the inequality needs to be manipulated in order to prove it. Ultimately, the simpler method using logarithms is shown to be a more
forevergone
I have a problem when trying to prove n! >= 2^(n-1).

My work:

Assuming n=k, k! >= 2^k-1 (induction hypothesis).

To prove true for n=k+1,

(k+1)! >= 2^(k+1)-1 = 2^k

Now considering R.S., 2^k = (2^(k-1))(2)I get stuck here. I don't know how to continue onwards to prove that (k+1)! is >= 2^k.

Can anyone show what I did wrong or what I should've done?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, You don't mean 2^k-1, you mean 2^(k-1). That is, the formula you want to prove is n!>= 2k-1, not n!>= 2k-1 (which is not true, for example, for n= 3).

Second, you didn't do the "base case": when n= 1, n!= 1 which is equal to 21-1= 2-1.

Third, assuming that k!>= 2^(k- 1), you don't know that (k+1)! >= 2^((k+1)-1)= 2^k . That's what you want to prove!

(k+1)!= (k+1)k! >= (k+1)(2k-1). Now what you need is to prove that (k+1)(2k-1) is larger than or equal to 2k. Perhaps you can do that with a separate induction proof.

k! >= 2^(k-1)
(k+1)k! >= (k+1)2^(k-1)
(k+1)! >= (k+1)2^(k-1)

You want a 2^k to appear on the RHS. You know that k is a natural number. It should be fairly easy to finish it off from there.

Alright, thanks guys. I got it.

There's a simple way to do it without induction:

[tex]n!\geq 2^{n-1}\Rightarrow \ln (n!) = \sum_{k=1}^{n} \ln (k) \geq (n-1)\ln (2)[/tex]

since [itex] \ln(1)=0[/itex] and [itex] \ln(1)<\ln(2)<\ln(3)<\cdot\cdot\cdot<\ln(n-1)<\ln(n)[/itex] it follows that

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} \ln (k) = \sum_{k=2}^{n} \ln (k) > \sum_{k=2}^{n} \ln (2) \geq (n-1)\ln (2)[/tex]

where the last inequality is not an equality for the sake of the n=1 case.

1. How do you prove n! >= 2^(n-1) with mathematical induction?

To prove this inequality, we use the principle of mathematical induction. First, we prove the base case, which is typically n = 1 or n = 2. Then, we assume the inequality is true for some arbitrary value of n, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n+1. This establishes the truth of the inequality for all values of n greater than or equal to the base case.

2. What is the base case for proving n! >= 2^(n-1)?

The base case for this proof is typically n = 1, as it is the simplest value to start with. However, some proofs may also use n = 2 as the base case.

3. Why is mathematical induction used to prove this inequality?

Mathematical induction is a powerful proof technique that is particularly useful for proving statements about sequences or patterns. It allows us to prove that a statement is true for infinitely many cases by only considering a few specific cases. This makes it an efficient and effective method for proving this type of inequality.

4. Can this inequality be proven using other methods besides mathematical induction?

Yes, it is possible to prove this inequality using other methods such as direct proof or contradiction. However, mathematical induction is often the most straightforward and efficient method.

5. What are the applications of proving n! >= 2^(n-1)?

This inequality has various applications in mathematics and computer science, particularly in the analysis of algorithms. It can also be used to prove other inequalities and to solve problems involving sequences and patterns.