Prove by Mathematical Induction: (13^n)-(6^n) Divisible by 7

In summary, the conversation revolved around the problem of proving by mathematical induction that (13^n)-(6^n) is divisible by 7. The participants discussed different approaches and methods, including using a specific factorization for a^n - b^n and finding a way to show that (13^(k+1) - 6^(k+1)) is divisible by seven. Ultimately, it was suggested to use the sum of a geometric series to solve the problem.
supasupa
Hey there evryone

I need some help with this problem as I don't know which direction to go with it.

Prove by mathematical induction that (13^n)-(6^n) is divisible by 7.

The Base Step is obviously ok...

Then assume (13^K)-(6^K) is true

Then have to prove (13^(k+1))-(6^(k+1)) is true... how do i do this

thank heaps...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you factor (13^(k+1))-(6^(k+1)) ?

yeah that's what i have been trying to do but i don't know how to get

(13^(k+1) - 6^(k+1))

as a multiple of (13^k - 6^k).

I don't know if this is the correct direction to take

[tex]13^{k+1}-6^{k+1}=13 \cdot (13^k-6^k)+7 \cdot 6^k[/tex]

how do you do that?
like what is the step u take to get there

i get

13.13^K - 6.6^K

then what do i do??

Instead of trying that... can you find a way to just show (13^(k+1) - 6^(k+1)) is divisible by seven? What looks like it equal seven in that equation?

supasupa said:
i get

13.13^K - 6.6^K

then what do i do??

=13.13^K-(13-7).6^K=13(13^K-6^K)+7.6^K

thank you very much...that makes a heap more sense now
:smile:

In all this, you've missed out the slightly easier solution Shredder was trying to point you to. There is a standard factorization for a^n - b^n. You use a specific case of this factorization when you write the sum of a geometric series : [itex]1+b+b^2+...+b^{n-1} = (1-b^n)/(1-b) [/itex]

1. How do you approach a mathematical induction proof?

A mathematical induction proof involves proving a statement for all natural numbers. The basic steps are to prove the statement for the base case (usually n=1), assume the statement holds true for some arbitrary value of n, and then use that assumption to prove the statement for n+1. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all natural numbers.

2. What is the base case in the proof of (13^n)-(6^n) Divisible by 7?

The base case in this proof would be when n=1, as this is the smallest natural number. Plugging in n=1 gives us (13^1)-(6^1) = 7, which is divisible by 7.

3. How do you prove the inductive step in the proof of (13^n)-(6^n) Divisible by 7?

In the inductive step, we assume that the statement holds true for some arbitrary value of n, and then use that assumption to prove the statement for n+1. In this case, we assume that (13^n)-(6^n) is divisible by 7 and then show that (13^(n+1))-(6^(n+1)) is also divisible by 7.

4. Why is it important to prove the base case in a mathematical induction proof?

The base case serves as the starting point for the proof and shows that the statement holds true for the smallest value of n. Without proving the base case, we cannot assume that the statement holds true for any other value of n.

5. Can you use mathematical induction to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used for real numbers or other types of mathematical objects.