1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Induction

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) + 4(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4
    factor this out....
    What's the common factor? How did you get there? (ok i hope it doesnt require expanding the polynomials :p)
    Again, would it be easier if i substituted every (k+x) by a different variable, where (k+1) would equal to variable 'A', (k+2) = B, and so forth?
    (this would eventually lead to a mathematical induction)...this is not a hw question...im simply trying to understand factoring and mathematical induction...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2
    What are you asking? I can't make sense of your post or how it relates to mathematical induction.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as I can tell all you need to remember is that xy+xz=x(y+z), i.e. the distributive property of multiplication. And it has nothing to do with induction.

5. Oct 13, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's obvious, isn't it, that there are factors of k+1, k+2, and k+3 in both terms? You can factor those out:
    [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)+ 4(k+1)(k+2)k+3)]/4= (k+1)(k+2)(k+3)[k+ 4]/4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?