Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Induction

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) + 4(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4
    factor this out....
    What's the common factor? How did you get there? (ok i hope it doesnt require expanding the polynomials :p)
    Again, would it be easier if i substituted every (k+x) by a different variable, where (k+1) would equal to variable 'A', (k+2) = B, and so forth?
    (this would eventually lead to a mathematical induction)...this is not a hw question...im simply trying to understand factoring and mathematical induction...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2
    What are you asking? I can't make sense of your post or how it relates to mathematical induction.
  4. Oct 11, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as I can tell all you need to remember is that xy+xz=x(y+z), i.e. the distributive property of multiplication. And it has nothing to do with induction.
  5. Oct 13, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's obvious, isn't it, that there are factors of k+1, k+2, and k+3 in both terms? You can factor those out:
    [k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)+ 4(k+1)(k+2)k+3)]/4= (k+1)(k+2)(k+3)[k+ 4]/4.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?