Math Help: Prove SUM(r=1 to n) 1/r(r + 1)(r + 2)

In summary, in the concept of mathematical induction, one must show that a statement is true for n=1 and then assume that it is true for n=k and prove that it must also be true for n=k+1. This can be done by manipulating the equation using basic algebra and simplifying it to match the desired result. With practice and understanding, this method can be applied to various situations in mathematical induction.
james.farrow
Hi this is my first post so here goes...

Basically I'm studying maths and in a section called proof and resoning they have introduced mathematical induction. I have tried to follow the examples but I still can't make head nor tail of it really. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all?

The question asked is

Prove SUM(r=1 to n) 1/r(r + 1)(r + 2) is 1/4 - 1/2(n + 1)(n + 2)

Ok where/how do I start? This bears absolutely no resemblance to any of the worked examples at all, the examples are summing squares and cubes but this is a fraction?
Can you see my problem? If I'm absolutely honest I have been on with it for a few days now (yes I said days!) and am about to forget the whole induction thing completely...

Please if anyone can help me have a light bulb moment I will be very grateful!

Many thanks

James

Physics news on Phys.org
james.farrow said:
Hi this is my first post so here goes...

Basically I'm studying maths and in a section called proof and resoning they have introduced mathematical induction. I have tried to follow the examples but I still can't make head nor tail of it really. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all?

The question asked is

Prove SUM(r=1 to n) 1/r(r + 1)(r + 2) is 1/4 - 1/2(n + 1)(n + 2)

Ok where/how do I start? This bears absolutely no resemblance to any of the worked examples at all, the examples are summing squares and cubes but this is a fraction?
Can you see my problem? If I'm absolutely honest I have been on with it for a few days now (yes I said days!) and am about to forget the whole induction thing completely...

Please if anyone can help me have a light bulb moment I will be very grateful!

Many thanks

James

A nice thing about induction is that you always start the same way: show that the statement is true for n= 1. For n= 1, the left hand side is just the one term 1/(1(1+1)(1+2))= 1/6 while the right hand side is 1/4- 1/(2(1+1)(1+2))= 1/4- 1/12= 3/12- 1/12= 2/12= 1/6. Yes, the statement is true when n= 1.

And, the second part is basically always the same: Assume the statement is true for n=k and prove that it must be true for n= k+1.

What you WANT to show, then is the statement with n= k+1:
[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} \frac{1}{r(r+1)(r+2)}= \frac{1}{4}- \frac{1}{2(n+1)(n+2)}[/tex]

Okay, the left side is just the previous sum with one new term:
[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{k}\frac{1}{r(r+1)(r+2)}+ \frac{1}{(k+1)(k+1+1)(k+2+1)}[/tex]

Assuming that the formula is correct for n= k, that is the same as
[tex]\frac{1}{2(k+1)(k+2)}+ \frac{1}{(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)}[/tex]

Now, do the algebra. Get common denominators and add the fractions, then show that what you get is the same as I said above.

Thanks for the reply! Well to be honest what you have said has meant more to me than the past few days have!
When I get home I will try and work through it as you have said - and report back...

Thanks again.

James

I've tried but failed again. I can't get

1/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 1/(k + 1)(K + 2)(k + 3)

to be

1/2(n + 1)(n + 2)

No it should be 1/(2*(n + 2)(n+3))...

As you can see I'm finding this very difficult to understand.
Can you tell me in 'idiot speak'? So I can try and get a grip of it...

Which part are you not understanding. Do you understand the concepts of MI? Are you having more trouble manipulating the equation with the Algebra?

james.farrow said:
I've tried but failed again. I can't get

1/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 1/(k + 1)(K + 2)(k + 3)

to be

1/2(n + 1)(n + 2)

That's 1/4- 1/(2k(k+1)(K+2)+ 1/[(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]

The "1/4" you can just leave but that "-" is important!

To be honest I am having trouble undrstanding MI from top to bottom - the whole 9 yards basically!
If its not too much hassle I would like a 'walk through' of it if at all possible...

Thanks for your help so far

James

Are you capable of basic algebra?

What is 1/4- 1/(2k(k+1)(K+2)+ 1/[(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]?

Watching me do for you wouldn't help you any more than my watching you do 30 pushups would help me!

lol yeah I can do basic algebra! Please forgive me, I'm studying through the OU and this has just been introduced. I have previously done Further Pure. Personally I don't think that the 'concept' of what we are trying to do/achieve has not been explained very well. Bear in mind this 'technique' is new to me and I've had a mental block on this for a few days now. Once the light bulb comes on and I understand what is wanted and what to do and how to apply it to various 'situations' all will be well.

Thanks

James

The best way to get ouot of that "mental block" is to do the algebra that I have suggested twice now: what is 1/4- 1/(2k(k+1)(K+2)+ 1/[(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]?

What am I supposed to end up with after doing the algebra?

1/4 - 1/2(k + 1)(k +2) ...?

Thanks for all the help so far - it is appreciated! I don't want to jump the gun but I think the penny may have dropped...
Can someone please check my working?

We have

1/4 - 1/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 1/)k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3)

1/4 - 1/4*4/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 1/4*4/(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3)

1/4{ 1/1 - 4/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 4/(k + 1)(k + 2)(k +3) }

1/4{ (2k(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3) -4(k + 3) + 4(2k))/2k(k + 1)(K + 2)(k + 3)}

1/4{ 2k^4 + 12k^3 + 22k^2 + 8k -12/2k(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3) }

now divide the numerator by (k + 3) to arrive at

1/4{ (k + 3)( 2k^3 + 6k^2 + 4k -4)/2k(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3) }

Cancel the (k +3) top and bottom

Take k out of the top

1/4{ k(2k^2 + 6k + 4) -4 / 2k(k + 1)(k + 2) }

1/4{ k(2k^2 + 6k + 4)/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) - 4/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) }

1/4 { 2K^2 + 6k + 4/ 2(K + 1)(k + 2) - 2/k(k + 1)(k + 2) }

1/4 { 1 - 2 / k(k + 1)(k +2) }

1/4 - 1/ 2k(k + 1)(k +2 )

Finally end up with what was asked?

Many Thanks

James

james.farrow said:
Thanks for all the help so far - it is appreciated! I don't want to jump the gun but I think the penny may have dropped...
Can someone please check my working?

We have

1/4 - 1/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 1/)k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3)
The second fraction does not have a "k" in the denominator, it is just -1/[2(k+1)(k+2)]. That's my fault, I copied it wrong myself.

1/4 - 1/4*4/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 1/4*4/(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3)

1/4{ 1/1 - 4/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) + 4/(k + 1)(k + 2)(k +3) }

1/4{ (2k(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3) -4(k + 3) + 4(2k))/2k(k + 1)(K + 2)(k + 3)}

1/4{ 2k^4 + 12k^3 + 22k^2 + 8k -12/2k(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3) }
I don't know why you have incorporated the "1/4" in that- it just "goes along for the ride" and, as I said before, you can just leave it.
To combine -1/[2(k+1)(k+2)+ 1/(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) you need a common denominator of 2(k+1)(k+2)(k+3). That means that you need to multiply numerator and denominator of the first fraction by k+3 and of the second fraction by 2:
-(k+3)/[2(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]+ 2/[2(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]= (-k- 3+ 2)/[2(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]= (-k-1)/[2(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]= -(k+1)/[2(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]= -1/[2(k+2)(k+3)] so, putting the 1/4 back in
that is 1/4- 1/[2(k+2)(k+3)].

Can you see that that is the same as the orginal formula with n replaced by k+1?

now divide the numerator by (k + 3) to arrive at

1/4{ (k + 3)( 2k^3 + 6k^2 + 4k -4)/2k(k + 1)(k + 2)(k + 3) }

Cancel the (k +3) top and bottom

Take k out of the top

1/4{ k(2k^2 + 6k + 4) -4 / 2k(k + 1)(k + 2) }

1/4{ k(2k^2 + 6k + 4)/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) - 4/2k(k + 1)(k + 2) }

1/4 { 2K^2 + 6k + 4/ 2(K + 1)(k + 2) - 2/k(k + 1)(k + 2) }

1/4 { 1 - 2 / k(k + 1)(k +2) }

1/4 - 1/ 2k(k + 1)(k +2 )

Finally end up with what was asked?

Many Thanks

James

Thanks to all for your help - I've finally managed to understand what is being asked.
Now that I can see it is simple really, just that mental block!
It is easy without the additional 'k' lol

Thanks again

James

P.S A very useful forum, no doubt I will be posting time and again...

1. What is the purpose of proving the sum of the expression SUM(r=1 to n) 1/r(r + 1)(r + 2)?

The purpose of proving the sum of this expression is to find a general formula for the sum of a series of numbers. This can be useful in solving various mathematical problems and in understanding patterns in number sequences.

2. How do you go about proving the sum of this expression?

The sum of this expression can be proved using mathematical induction. This involves proving that the expression holds true for a base case, and then proving that if it holds true for a certain value of n, it also holds true for n+1.

3. What is the formula for the sum of this expression?

The formula for the sum of this expression is n/(n+2), where n is the number of terms in the series. This formula can be derived by using mathematical induction to prove that the expression holds true for all values of n.

4. Can this expression be simplified?

Yes, this expression can be simplified to 1/2 - 1/(n+1) + 1/(n+2). This can be useful in certain situations where a simpler expression is needed.

5. How can the sum of this expression be used in real-world applications?

The sum of this expression can be used in various real-world applications, such as in finance to calculate compound interest, in physics to calculate the total energy of a system, and in computer science to analyze algorithms and data structures. It can also be used to solve various mathematical problems and to understand patterns in number sequences.