1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Induction!

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    The equation is: [i(i+1)=n(n+1)(n+2)/3] whereas i=1

so the beginning process would be 2+6+12+20.........+n(n+1)=n(n+1)(n+2)/3

after the equation is proven for n=1 [(1(1+1)=1(1+1)(1+2)/3] then we must prove for n=n+1

thats where i begin to stop understanding.
    So...
    2+6+12+20......+n(n+1)+n+1(n+1+1)??= n(n+1)(n+2)/3+n+1??

if my nonsense is correct then we are attempting to prove that n(n+1)(n+2)/3+n+1=(n+1)(n+2)

....help

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems like you're trying to prove that:

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^n i(i+1) = \frac{n(n+1)(n+2)}{3} [/tex]

Every inductive proof has the same form. You start with a base case. In this case, n = 1.

Is it true that 1(2) = 1(2)(3)/3? Yes, so it works for the base case.

Then the argument is that if you can show that **IF** it works for n, **THEN** it works for n+1, then it must be true for all n by mathematical induction.

In other words, ASSUMING that it works for n, show that it works for n+1. If you can do that, then you can state that by mathematical induction, it works for all n.

4. May 25, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you mean
    [tex]\sum_{i= 1}^n i(i+1)= n(n+1)(n+2)/3[/tex]

Well, not "n= n+1", that's meaning less. You mean to prove that if it is true for a given n, it is true for n+1.

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n+1} i(i+1)= \sum_{i=1}^n i(i+1)+ (n+1)(n+1+1)= n(n+1)(n+2)/3+ (n+1)(n+2)[/tex]
    and you want to prove that is equal to (n+1)(n+2)(n+3)/3, the basic formula n(n+1)(n+2)/3 with "n" replaced by "n+1".

I would recommend that the first thing you do is factor (n+1) and (n+2) out of n(n+1)(n+2)/3+ (n+1)(n+2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook