Proving x_n+1 > x_n with Mathematical Induction | Real Number Sequence

In summary: You need to show that x2 > x1, which is the same as showing that x2 - x1 > 0. And that's where x1 = 1 comes into play. Use that to show that x2 - x1 > 0.
AerospaceEng

Homework Statement

Consider the sequence of real numbers x1, x2, x3,... defi ned by the relations x1 = 1

and xn+1 =[tex]\sqrt{1 + 2xn}[/tex]

1. Use mathematical induction to show that xn+1 > xn
for all n [tex]\geq[/tex] 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit thrown off by this question because it seems very obvious that it would be greater. if x1=1 is it safe to assume that xn=n? and if so I feel like this proof is stupid cause it shows right in front of you that its greater. any help is great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your LaTeX.
AerospaceEng said:

Homework Statement

Consider the sequence of real numbers x1, x2, x3,... defi ned by the relations x1 = 1

and xn+1 =[tex]\sqrt{1 + 2x_n}[/tex]

1. Use mathematical induction to show that xn+1 > xn
for all n [tex]\geq[/tex] 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit thrown off by this question because it seems very obvious that it would be greater. if x1=1 is it safe to assume that xn=n? and if so I feel like this proof is stupid cause it shows right in front of you that its greater. any help is great thanks.
The obviousness (or not) is irrelevant to what you need to do, which is to prove this statement by induction.

You are given x1 = 1. What is the value for x2? If x2 > x1, then use that for your base case.

Next, assume that xk > xk - 1 (the induction hypothesis), and use that assumption to show that xk + 1 > xk. If you can do this, you will have proved that the statement is true for all n >= 1.

The proof is not stupid! Lol engineers!

Perform the substraction [tex] x_{n+1}- x_n[/tex] then show the substraction is > 0. Hint: rationalise and use the fact that a^2 >0 for an real number a.

I'm I allowed to say that xn+1 is the same thing as xn + x1 cause i feel I can't and if I can't I feel so limited.

AerospaceEng said:
I'm I allowed to say that xn+1 is the same thing as xn + x1 cause i feel I can't and if I can't I feel so limited.

But that's not true.

xn+1 is clearly shown to be [tex]\sqrt{1+2x_n}[/tex].

So...

[tex]x_{n+1}-x_n = \sqrt{1+2x_n} - x_n[/tex]

So you need to prove that the above equation is always greater than 0, given x1=1.

okay so I think i see where this is going. what I've done so far is I've taken the RHS and multiplied it by itself just with a positive between the terms, to give me 1+2xk-xk2

But i feel like I've done something wrong because i haven't used x1=1 as of yet..

Last edited:
AerospaceEng said:
okay so I think i see where this is going. what I've done so far is I've taken the LHS and multiplied it by itself just with a positive between the terms, to give me 1+2xk+xk2
and i can factor this to give me (x+1)2
Is that good enough to show that it's always greater than 0. and then ill just plug this mini proof into my main proof.

But i feel like I've done something wrong because i haven't used x1=1 as of yet..

Considering that x_k itself is always greater than 0, that should be enough. But I'll wait for a second opinion on that.

now if i work with the left hand side I get xk+12-xk2 and i can cancel the -xk2 on both sides to give me:

xk+12=2k+1

and i feel I am stuck again and where does the x1=1 come into play?

the x_1 comes into play when you show that x_2>x_1 which is the initial step when you should have done first.

AerospaceEng said:
now if i work with the left hand side I get xk+12-xk2 and i can cancel the -xk2 on both sides to give me:

xk+12=2k+1

and i feel I am stuck again and where does the x1=1 come into play?
See post #2.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if it is true for any given natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by breaking down a larger problem into smaller, more manageable subproblems. It uses the principle of strong induction, which states that if a statement is true for all smaller values, it must also be true for the next value.

3. What are the steps of mathematical induction?

The steps of mathematical induction are:

• Step 1: Prove that the statement is true for the first natural number.
  • Step 2: Assume that the statement is true for any given natural number (known as the induction hypothesis).
  • Step 3: Use the induction hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number.
  • Step 4: Conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

4. What are some examples of problems solved using mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can be used to prove many different types of statements, such as:

• Proving that a formula or equation holds for all natural numbers.
  • Showing that a certain pattern or sequence continues infinitely.
  • Proving inequalities or divisibility statements.
  • Verifying the correctness of algorithms or computer programs.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical induction?

While mathematical induction is a powerful proof technique, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to prove statements that hold for all natural numbers, and it may not be applicable to more complex problems or those involving real numbers. It also relies on the previous natural number being true in order to prove the next one, so it cannot be used in cases where this does not hold.