Is f(n) = 4^n + 6n - 1 Divisible by 9 for All Positive Integers n?

In other words, the sum is still the same as before, but the 1 term has been removed from the sum. Thus,3^{n+1}+\binom{n}{1} 3^{n}+\binom{n}{2}3^{n-1}+ ... +\binom{n}{n-2}3^3+\binom{n}{n-1}3^2Now compare this to the expansion before the last one. What you'll see is that the exponents on those last terms are one greater than before. That's why we were able to remove the 1 term from the sum in the first place.3^{n+1}+\binom{n}{1}
synkk
Prove that f(n) = 4^n + 6n - 1 is divisible by 9 for all positive integers of n.

I've proved this by considering that f(k) is divisible by 9, i.e f(k) = 4^k + 6k -1 = 9m where m is some integer. Rearranging to give 4^k = 9m - 4k + 1 and then considering f(k+1) = 4^(k+1) + 6(k+1) - 1 then substituting 4^k and showing it is divisible by 9, which works.

I've been trying to do it another way i.e by considering f(k+1) - f(k), doing so I get

[itex] f(k+1) -f(k) = 4^{k+1} + 6k + 6 -1 -4^k -6k + 1 [/itex]
and then going on to get [itex] f(k+1) -f(k)= 3(4^k) + 6 [/itex]

however I'm stuck here, I can obviously see that this is divisible by 9, but how can I show it?

EDIT: Similarly how do I show that 120(2^(4k)) + 78(3^(3k)) is divisible by 11?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
[itex]4^k=(3+1)^k[/itex]

szynkasz said:
Hint:
[itex]4^k=(3+1)^k[/itex]

I still can't seem to get it, I've expanded with the binomial expansion.

First, of course, [itex]f(0)= 4^0+ 6(0)- 1= 0= 9(0)[/itex].

Now assume that, for some k, [itex]f(k)= 4^k+ 6k- 1[/itex] is a multiple of 9 and look at
[itex]f(k+ 1)= 4^{k+1}+ 6(k+ 1)- 1= 4(4^k)+ 6k+ 5[/itex].

Looking at that 4 times [itex]4^k[/itex], it occcurs to me to write 6k= 24k- 18k= 4(6k)- 18k and 5= -4+ 9.

Do you see why?
[itex]f(k+1)= 4^{k+1}- 6(k+1)- 1= 4(4^k+ 6k- 1)- 18k+ 9[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
First, of course, [itex]f(0)= 4^0+ 6(0)- 1= 0= 9(0)[/itex].

Now assume that, for some k, [itex]f(k)= 4^k+ 6k- 1[/itex] and look at
[itex]f(k+ 1)= 4^{k+1}+ 6(k+ 1)- 1= 4(4^k)+ 6k+ 5[/itex].

Looking at that 4 times [itex]4^k[/itex], it occcurs to me to write 6k= 24k- 18k= 4(6k)- 18k and 5= -4+ 9.

Do you see why?
[itex]f(k+1)= 4^{k+1}- 6(k+1)- 1= 4(4^k+ 6k- 1)- 18k+ 9[/itex]

woah that's pretty smart, though I don't particularly think I could get to that step on my own.

synkk said:
I still can't seem to get it, I've expanded with the binomial expansion.

[itex]3\cdot (3+1)^k+6=3\cdot\sum_{m=0}^k {k\choose m}3^m+6=3\cdot \sum_{m=1}^k {k\choose m}3^m+3+6=9\cdot \sum_{m=1}^k {k\choose m}3^{m-1}+9[/itex]

szynkasz said:
[itex]3\cdot (3+1)^k+6=3\cdot\sum_{m=0}^k {k\choose m}3^m+6=3\cdot \sum_{m=1}^k {k\choose m}3^m+3+6=9\cdot \sum_{m=1}^k {k\choose m}3^{m-1}+9[/itex]

I'm not really familiar on your notation, here's how I expanded:

[itex]3(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} + \displaystyle \binom{k}{2}3^{k-2}+...)[/itex]

synkk said:
I'm not really familiar on your notation, here's how I expanded:

[itex]3(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} + \displaystyle \binom{k}{2}3^{k-2}+...)[/itex]

Right, and what happens at the end of that expansion? It comes down to,

[tex]3(4^k)[/tex]
[tex]=3(3+1)^k[/tex]
[tex]=3\left(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} + ...+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k-1}3+1\right)[/tex]
[tex]=3\left(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} +...+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k-1}3\right)+3[/tex]

Can you carry on from here?

Mentallic said:
Right, and what happens at the end of that expansion? It comes down to,

[tex]3(4^k)[/tex]
[tex]=3(3+1)^k[/tex]
[tex]=3\left(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} + ...+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k-1}3+1\right)[/tex]
[tex]=3\left(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} +...+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k-1}3\right)+3[/tex]

Can you carry on from here?

No, I can't.

I thought the last term would be [tex]=3\left(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} +...+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k}3\right)+3[/tex]

I don't know how to proceed either way.

synkk said:
No, I can't.

I thought the last term would be [tex]=3\left(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} +...+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k}3\right)+3[/tex]
No, it's not. Mentallic had it right.
[tex]=3(4)^k[/tex]
[tex]=3(3+1)^k[/tex]
I'll insert a step here:
[tex]=3\left(3^k + \displaystyle \binom{k}{1}3^{k-1} + ...+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k-1}3^1+\displaystyle \binom{k}{k}3^0\right)[/tex]

synkk said:
No, I can't.

I don't know how to proceed either way.

The binomial expansion is as follows:

[tex](a+b)^n=\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k}a^{n-k}b^k[/tex]

Or if we express that sum the long way, we get

[tex]\binom{n}{0}a^{n-0}b^0+\binom{n}{1}a^{n-1}b^1+\binom{n}{2}a^{n-2}b^2+ ... +\binom{n}{n-2}a^{n-(n-2)}b^{n-2}+\binom{n}{n-1}a^{n-(n-1)}b^{n-1}+\binom{n}{n}a^{n-n}b^{n}[/tex]

Now, there's a lot of simplifications we can do on the very left and right-hand sides.
[tex]\binom{n}{0}=\binom{n}{n}=1[/tex]
[tex]a^{n-n}=a^0=b^0=1[/tex]
[tex]a^{n-(n-k)}=a^k[/tex]

After applying all these simplifications, the binomial expansion becomes
[tex]a^n+\binom{n}{1}a^{n-1}b+\binom{n}{2}a^{n-2}b^2+ ... +\binom{n}{n-2}a^2b^{n-2}+\binom{n}{n-1} ab^{n-1}+b^n[/tex]

Applying a=3 and b=1 gives us something much simpler because all of the b terms essentially vanish since bk=1.

[tex]3^n+\binom{n}{1} 3^{n-1}+\binom{n}{2}3^{n-2}+ ... +\binom{n}{n-2}3^2+\binom{n}{n-1}3+1[/tex]

Now multiply the whole expression by 3, and remove the +1 term from the sum out of the brackets.

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove a statement for all natural numbers (usually starting at 0 or 1). It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is shown to be true for the first number, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one number, it must also be true for the next number.

2. How is mathematical induction different from other methods of proof?

Unlike direct proof or proof by contradiction, mathematical induction is a form of proof by exhaustion. Instead of proving a statement is true for all numbers at once, it proves it is true for each individual number in a sequence, starting from the base case. This allows for a more systematic approach to proving a statement for all numbers.

3. What types of statements can be proven using mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is typically used to prove statements involving natural numbers, such as equations, inequalities, and divisibility. It can also be used to prove statements about sets, graphs, and other mathematical structures.

4. Are there any limitations to mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements for natural numbers. It cannot be used for real numbers or other types of numbers. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method of proof for certain statements and may require a lot of computational work.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to disprove a statement?

No, mathematical induction can only prove that a statement is true for all numbers. It cannot be used to prove that a statement is false. In order to disprove a statement, a counterexample must be found.