Mathematical Induction: Proving Inequalities with k and k+1

In summary: If you don't know where the need for the condition comes from then how can you prove that it is true?
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I am working on the problem in the attached image regarding induction based on the inequality

[tex]2^n \geq n + 1[/tex]

I am confused how to do this by proving that if it is assumed to be true for ## n = k ##, then how it is true for ##n = k + 1##. The way I see it, you would just do ## 2^{k+1} \geq (k+1) + 1##. The answer is ##2(k+1) \geq k + 2##, but I do not understand it.

Attachments

• induction.jpg
    induction.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, for inline latex ##\#\### before and after the expression.
'You would just do' : not exactly, it is what you have to prove assuming ##2^k \geq k+1## holds.

Hint:
Let ##a,b,c,d## be four positive numbers such that ##a\gt b## and ##c\gt d##, then we have: $$ac\gt bd.$$ For your particular example you have ##2^{k}\geqslant k+1## and you need to find a relation ##c\gt d## such that when you apply the above rule you get $$2^{k+1}\geqslant (k+1)+1.$$ Can you find such relation and prove it?

So are you saying in this case for ##a > b##, then ## a = 2^k## and ##b = k+1##. Then I need a ##c## and ##d##. Well, I think ## c## would be equal to ##2##, but I need something such that ##d*(k+1) = k + 2##.

Hence
[tex] d = k+2/k+1 [/tex]

Then it follows
[tex] ac \geq bd [/tex]

Thus,
[tex] 2(2^k) \geq (k+1)(k+2/{k+1}) [/tex]
[tex] 2^{k+1} \geq k+2[/tex]

Last edited:
You got it right for ##c##, can you now solve the equation ##d(k+1)=k+2## for ##d##?

I got it now, but how the heck would I ever know to do that? I would have never guessed that would be the way to prove it. How is it logical to approach the problem in that manner? Also, how do I get the k+1 to be on the bottom of the fraction?

Response to your edited post:

You now found the relation ##c\gt d## to go from ##2^k\geqslant k+1## to ##2^{k+1}\geqslant k+2##. But you still need to prove that relation, do you know how to proceed?

I got it now, but how the heck would I ever know to do that? I would have never guessed that would be the way to prove it. How is it logical to approach the problem in that manner? Also, how do I get the k+1 to be on the bottom of the fraction?

You got ##k+1## in the bottom of the fraction by solving for ##d##: $$d(k+1)=k+2\implies\require{cancel}d\cancel{(k+1)}\dfrac{1}{\cancel{k+1}}=(k+2)\dfrac1{k+1}\implies d=\dfrac{k+2}{k+1}.$$ The approach to this problem boils down to figuring out a way to go from ##2^k\geqslant k+1## into ##2^{k+1}\geqslant k+2##. It's basically just what AlephZero did but written in a more detailed manner.

Maylis said:
I would have never guessed that would be the way to prove it.

Neither would I :smile:

On the other hand, if you assume ##2^k \ge k + 1## and you want to show that ##2^{k+1} \ge (k+1) + 1##, then

## 2^{k+1} = 2(2^k) \ge 2(k+1) =2k +2 \ge k + 2## when ##k \ge 0##.

Yes, for ##c > d##, you get ##2 \geq k+2/k+1 ##, which by algebraic manipulation is ## 2(k+1) \geq k+2##. How do I get the fraction to look like yours, with the fraction being on the bottom? As well as the slash going through indicating canceling a term.

Maylis said:
Yes, for ##c > d##, you get ##2 \geq k+2/k+1 ##, which by algebraic manipulation is ## 2(k+1) \geq k+2##. How do I get the fraction to look like yours, with the fraction being on the bottom? As well as the slash going through indicating canceling a term.

For the fraction use \frac{}{} for example \frac{x+2}{x+1} will produce ##\frac{x+2}{x+1}##. For the slash you first have to write \require{cancel} then to use the \cancel{} command where you put what you want to slash inside the brackets, therefore \require{cancel}\cancel{x+1} will produce ##\require{cancel}\cancel{x+1}##.

HakimPhilo said:
It's basically just what AlephZero did but written in a more detailed manner.

I wouldn't call it "detailed". I would describe it a very confusing explanation which isn't very helpful for understanding the simple induction step.

LCKurtz said:
I wouldn't call it "detailed". I would describe it a very confusing explanation which isn't very helpful for understanding the simple induction step.

I could have proceeded as AlephZero (which is what I originally did but then got a warning with my post being deleted) but the OP specifically mentions that he didn't know where the need for ##2(k+1) \geqslant k + 2## came from.

Last edited:

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers.

What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction states that if a statement is true for a specific natural number, and if it can be shown that the statement is true for the next natural number by using the previous one, then the statement must be true for all natural numbers.

How is mathematical induction used in mathematics?

Mathematical induction is used to prove theorems and propositions in mathematics by showing that they hold true for all natural numbers. It is commonly used in number theory, combinatorics, and discrete mathematics.

What are the steps of mathematical induction?

The steps of mathematical induction are as follows:

1. Prove that the statement is true for the first natural number.
  2. Assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number.
  3. Use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number.
  4. Conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

What are some common mistakes when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes when using mathematical induction include:

• Not proving the base case (first natural number) correctly.
  • Incorrectly assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers instead of just the next one.
  • Using circular reasoning or assuming what needs to be proven.
  • Not being careful with algebraic manipulations and making errors.