Proving Relationships with Mathematical Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses mathematical induction and the process of proving relationships using it. The speaker is looking for a step-by-step procedure for using induction and mentions finding helpful resources in a college algebra textbook. They also mention the importance of being careful and logical in the process of proving statements.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

We had a short unit on mathematical induction, and I know my final exam will probably have one problem that says ''prove this relationship with mathematical induction''. I was wondering, is there some sort of step by step procedure to proving something using induction? Or is it dependent on the relationship that you are told to prove.

We didn't get into much detail at all, so I'm left with not really any tools.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is certainly a step by step way. First you prove the n=1 case. Then you prove that the statement is true for the n=1+i case assuming it is true for the n=i case. And then you're done.

The best help I found was from a college algebra textbook written by Aufmann, Barker, & Nation. I had spent several years not understanding mathematical induction until I found that book - and it changed everything for me.

You need to learn to be careful and logical with the formulations and sequences.
Show that the n=1 case works;
Assume the n+2 case would be correct;
Generalize based on this, and show that for any k+1 term, the formula also works.

1. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove a statement for all natural numbers. It works by first showing that the statement is true for the first natural number, usually 1. Then, it assumes the statement is true for a general natural number, usually called k. Finally, it uses this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number, k+1. This establishes that the statement is true for all natural numbers by building up from the base case.

2. What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction states that if a statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1) and if the statement being true for a general natural number (k), implies that it is also true for the next natural number (k+1), then the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What types of statements can be proven using mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is typically used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as equations, inequalities, and divisibility. However, it can also be used to prove statements about other mathematical objects, such as sets, graphs, and functions, as long as they can be translated into statements about natural numbers.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove relationships in the real world?

While mathematical induction is a powerful proof technique, it is limited to proving statements about mathematical objects. Therefore, it cannot be used to prove relationships in the real world directly. However, it can be used to prove mathematical models or theories that can then be applied to real-world situations.

5. What are the limitations of mathematical induction?

One limitation of mathematical induction is that it can only prove statements for natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements for real numbers or other types of numbers. Additionally, it may not work for more complex statements that cannot be easily translated into statements about natural numbers. Finally, it is important to note that mathematical induction only proves that a statement is true, it does not provide a method for finding the solution to a problem.