1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs MAthematical logic PHD

1. Dec 19, 2008 #1
    I cannot find any sort of comprehensive list of top schools in mathematical logic. It seems that U Wisconsin should be good, though I don't know if that is the case now that Barwise has passed. UC Berkeley is clearly a good school for logic. All of the places that show up are in Europe. I would not mind England or a Germanic country such as Switzerland, since I speak a decent bit of German and have plenty of time to brush up. Plus it seems that there are graduate courses conducted in English at Zurich.

Honestly, as I sure it is the case with many people, I would rather stay in the U.S. That being the case, any info on Phd programs in logic in the U.S. other that the two I already mentioned, would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2
  4. Dec 19, 2008 #3
    to add to that list, Notre Dame and Rutgers are supposedly good in logic

5. Dec 19, 2008 #4

Vid

http://www.ams.org/employment/undergrad.html

Go through the Assistantships and Graduate Fellowships booklet and see which departments are awarding Ph.D's in logic. It might take awhile, but it would be the most comprehensive list.

6. Dec 20, 2008 #5
    Thanks, this is quite helpful.

Do any of you know about the admissions standards for the Cambridge mathematics phd program as they compare to say, those of UC Berkeley?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?