Top PhD Programs in Mathematical Logic in the US

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for top schools in mathematical logic, with a preference for those in the U.S. The University of Wisconsin and UC Berkeley are mentioned as potential options, along with European schools like Zurich. The speaker also mentions their ability to speak German and their preference for staying in the U.S. and asks for information on Ph.D programs in logic in the U.S. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to check rankings and a booklet for comprehensive lists of programs, and a question about the admissions standards at Cambridge compared to UC Berkeley.
Bourbaki1123
I cannot find any sort of comprehensive list of top schools in mathematical logic. It seems that U Wisconsin should be good, though I don't know if that is the case now that Barwise has passed. UC Berkeley is clearly a good school for logic. All of the places that show up are in Europe. I would not mind England or a Germanic country such as Switzerland, since I speak a decent bit of German and have plenty of time to brush up. Plus it seems that there are graduate courses conducted in English at Zurich.

Honestly, as I sure it is the case with many people, I would rather stay in the U.S. That being the case, any info on Phd programs in logic in the U.S. other that the two I already mentioned, would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
to add to that list, Notre Dame and Rutgers are supposedly good in logic

http://www.ams.org/employment/undergrad.html

Go through the Assistantships and Graduate Fellowships booklet and see which departments are awarding Ph.D's in logic. It might take awhile, but it would be the most comprehensive list.

Thanks, this is quite helpful.

Do any of you know about the admissions standards for the Cambridge mathematics phd program as they compare to say, those of UC Berkeley?

1. What is the admission process like for top PhD programs in mathematical logic in the US?

The admission process for top PhD programs in mathematical logic in the US typically involves submitting an application, which includes transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and possibly a writing sample. Some programs may also require GRE scores. After the initial review of applications, selected candidates will be invited for interviews before final decisions are made.

2. What kind of coursework can I expect to take in a top PhD program in mathematical logic?

Coursework in a top PhD program in mathematical logic will likely include advanced topics in mathematical logic, such as set theory, model theory, proof theory, and recursion theory. Students may also take courses in related fields, such as computer science, philosophy, or linguistics, depending on their research interests.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD program in mathematical logic?

The length of a PhD program in mathematical logic can vary, but it typically takes around 5-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, exams, and research leading to a dissertation. Some programs may offer the option to complete the program in a shorter or longer time frame.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available in top PhD programs in mathematical logic?

Top PhD programs in mathematical logic offer a wide range of research opportunities for students. They may have collaborations with other departments or institutions, access to cutting-edge technology and resources, and opportunities to work with renowned faculty members on their research projects. Students may also have the chance to present their research at conferences and publish their work in academic journals.

5. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of top PhD programs in mathematical logic?

Graduates of top PhD programs in mathematical logic have a variety of career options available to them. Many go on to become professors at universities or researchers at institutions, while others may pursue careers in industry, such as in computer science, data analysis, or artificial intelligence. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills developed in a PhD program in mathematical logic can also be applied to a range of other fields, such as finance, law, or consulting.