1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Logic

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    This from Alonzo Church's Mathematical Logic, been stuck on it for a week =(.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    14.3 Present a Formal Proof: p [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] (q [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] r) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] ((p [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] q) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] r)

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

A truth table has shown that the previous implication is a tautology therefore we should be able to prove it. The first half is easily obtained from modus ponens... p [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] (q [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] r) however I have not been able to get ((p [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] q) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] r) any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2
    I assume you are asked to show [itex]p \rightarrow (q \rightarrow r) \Rightarrow (p \rightarrow q) \rightarrow r[/itex].

Proofs involving conclusions of the form "if A then B" are usually best proven by assuming the premises of the claim and A and then showing B is a consequence.

Basically:

Given [itex]p \rightarrow (q \rightarrow r), (p \rightarrow q)[/itex].

Show [itex]r[/itex].

As a hint, I'd suggest assuming p as a first step in the proof.

--Elucidus

P.S.: This method is valid due to the equivalence [itex](A \wedge B) \rightarrow C \equiv A \rightarrow (B \rightarrow C)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook