1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical logic

1. Oct 15, 2004 #1
    The problem I'm working on is:
    Prove that indirect proof is a tautologically valid method of proof. That is, show that if P1,...,Pn, S is TT-contradictory, then ~S is a tautological consequence of P1,...,Pn.

What I have done so far is set up a TT with P1 to Pn being my premises, and S being P1^P2^...^Pn. A TT-contradictory means that there's a false P in every row going across, so that S is never true. So then I set up another TT with P1 to Pn, and made ~S be (~P1 or ~P2 or ... or ~Pn). So now ~S is always true, because there's always going to be at least one P that is false in every row, by definition of a TT-contradictory. Is this all I have to do??? I'm really stuck on this question, I feel like it should be harder than that. Can anybody help me?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted