Mathematical Methods book

In summary, this conversation covers a subject of mathematics, calculus of variations, and recommends a book to a person who is interested in this area. The book recommended is Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Keryszig.
Joker93
Hello, i am currently enrolled in a Mathematics course which covers these subjects:
-Calculus of Variations
-Laplace Transform
-Fourier Analysis
-Special Functions
-Integral Equations
And as an introduction to the subject it has several things from calculus like maxima/minima of functions of several variables, some differential(also partial differential equations) equations, Jacobians, Lagrange multipliers, Leibniz rule and partial differential equations(primarily the variable separable method).

Could you please recommend to me a mathematics book(either an applied mathematics book(for mathematicians) or a mathematical physics book or a mathematical methods for physicists book) that covers these but offers intuition(and has graphs) rather than just emphasizing on calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Books on this topic are piquing my interest as well, but most of the books I might recommend don't really cover integral equations, except for one of them.

• Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L. Boas
  • Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide by K. F. Riley
  • Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Michael D. Greenberg
  • Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Keryszig
  • Mathematical Methods in Physics and Engineering by John W. Dettman (this one has a chapter on integral equations)
Hope this helps.

UnivMathProdigy said:
Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Keryszig
<- is the most readable in my opinion although it isn't as high level as some of the others. Has nice relevant pictures also.

Linear Integral Equations by Lovitt (Dover reprint) is very intuitionist, although it doesn't have graphs (era 1920s), but very clear exposition covering Fredholm, Schmidt-Hilbert, and the Louiville-Neumann method.

The Fourier Series (older) book by Byerly is also very intuitionist and also covers PDE separation of variables (this also was a dover reprint at one time). For general Fourier Analysis I recommend the Schaum's Outline by Spiegel. Additionally his Laplace Transform and Complex Variables Schaum's Outlines are useful.

For calculus of variations look for van Brunt. This is a recent publication but you might check your university library.

For complex variables (I'm assuming this topic will be at least skirted although you didn't say) look for Carrier, Krook and Pearson. It is the best of the lot although the problems can be difficult. If you need the basics of complex numbers prior to that start with the first volume of Knopp called Elements of the Theory of Functions.

Stay away from Arfken as the organization is really lacking and he moves quickly over important details. Boas is okay but reads like a cookbook. Additionally Mathews and Walker has a lot of nice tricks but you might not learn much the first time around. Avoid Hassani's Mathematical Physics unless you have ALOT of time and like proofs.

...I'm guessing you are needing supplementary material so only suggested such types.

deskswirl said:
Avoid Hassani's Mathematical Physics unless you have ALOT of time and like proofs.

Hassani also has written an undergraduate text, "Mathematical Methods for Students of Physics and Related Fields".;

Likes deskswirl

1. What topics does the Mathematical Methods book cover?

The Mathematical Methods book covers a wide range of topics including linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis. It also includes topics such as optimization, numerical methods, and vector calculus.

2. Is the Mathematical Methods book suitable for beginners?

Yes, the Mathematical Methods book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually builds up to more advanced topics. It includes clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts.

3. Does the Mathematical Methods book include practical applications of the mathematical concepts?

Yes, the Mathematical Methods book includes practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides real-world examples to help readers understand how the mathematical concepts can be applied.

4. Are there any online resources available to supplement the Mathematical Methods book?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as lecture notes, video tutorials, and practice problems that can be used to supplement the Mathematical Methods book. These resources can help readers further understand the concepts and improve their problem-solving skills.

5. Is the Mathematical Methods book suitable for self-study?

Yes, the Mathematical Methods book is suitable for self-study as it is written in a clear and concise manner. It also includes plenty of exercises and practice problems to help readers test their understanding of the concepts. Additionally, there are online resources available for further practice and understanding.