Mathematical methods in physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a suitable book on mathematical methods in physics. The speaker, who has taken a course on the subject but feels they haven't retained much, is looking for a didactic and explanatory book to improve their understanding. They mention considering Boas' book but are unsure if it is the best choice for their specific situation. Another person recommends a textbook by Mentor @Orodruin and raises the importance of considering one's background and future needs in choosing a book. The conversation also briefly touches on the relevance of the discussion to a theoretical track in graduate studies.
ercagpince
Lately a book for mathematical methods in physics is discussed on many topics. However, I couldn't find a sufficient answer for my specific problem.

I took math. methods course while i was undergrad., I passed it quite successfully. Although, I did enjoy the course, I couldn't learn much on it. For instance, I can't even remember what sort of special functions one uses for a specific physical problem, or I can't solve a problem concerning fundamental Fourier transform.

Thus, this summer I want to reconstruct my knowledge on that field which I think is crucial for a graduate student.Since I'll be self studying,I need a very explanatory, didactic book and I don't know which book is the best in this case. I have bought Boas' book considering reviews around but I don't whether it is the best choice for my situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
ercagpince said:
a book for mathematical methods in physics
I am enjoying self-studying from this textbook by Mentor @Orodruin :

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-birth-of-a-textbook/

ercagpince said:
I have bought Boas' book considering reviews around but I don't whether it is the best choice for my situation.

And what is your situation. Books have a tendency to strengths and weakness relative to your background and future needs. We each may have our own preference but will it be the best for you? I think only you can determine that. Are you pursuing a theoretical track for your graduate studies, if so what area since this will define the math that is most relevant.

I think the OP was in 2008.
Whatever @ercagpine's circumstances were in 2008, I'm sure they've changed by now.

How did this thread surface at this time?

gleem said:
How did this thread surface at this time?
There's an effort to be sure that all posts get at least one useful reply, to help folks who get here via Google searches. I think there is a thread about it in the Feedback forum, and one in the Advisor forum... :smile:

Well, ok I'll go along with that. I think my post is still useful for prospective Googlers

Likes berkeman

1. What are the main mathematical methods used in physics?

The main mathematical methods used in physics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. These tools are used to describe and analyze physical phenomena, make predictions, and test theories.

2. How does mathematics help in understanding physics?

Mathematics helps in understanding physics by providing a precise language and framework for describing and quantifying physical phenomena. It allows for the formulation of theories and models that can be tested and refined through mathematical analysis and experimentation.

3. What is the role of symmetry in mathematical methods in physics?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in mathematical methods in physics as it allows for the simplification and organization of complex physical systems. Symmetry principles, such as conservation of energy or momentum, can also be used to derive fundamental laws and equations in physics.

4. Are there any limitations to using mathematical methods in physics?

While mathematics is an essential tool in physics, it does have its limitations. Some physical phenomena may not be easily describable using mathematical equations, and there are cases where mathematical models may not accurately reflect reality. Additionally, the complexity of certain physical systems may require more advanced mathematical techniques that are not yet fully developed.

5. How can one improve their understanding of mathematical methods in physics?

One can improve their understanding of mathematical methods in physics by practicing and applying these tools to various problems and scenarios. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to continuously learn and explore new mathematical techniques that are relevant to physics. Collaborating with other physicists and attending workshops or seminars can also enhance one's understanding of mathematical methods in physics.