Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical methods in physics?

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1
    That's right; it's time for yet another "What class should I take?" thread. Currently I'm registered for PDE1 as my sole elective next term -- my Engineering Physics curriculum dictates the other fifteen credits I'm taking -- but my Mechanics prof was really pushing an irregularly offered course called "Mathematical Methods in Physics." Apparently, like our undergrad quantum sequence, it's mixed upper level or honors undergrad and lower level grad.

Any idea what I should expect from such a course? The brief description suggests Hilbert space, contour integration, and infinite series. I've already had Complex Analysis, and this class looks promising in having that as a prerequisite, but still, I already expect to do more contour integration and ten thousand transforms (Fourier, z-, etc.) in Signals and Systems. Would this course be useful or redundant?

The third math class I was considering is Advanced Calculus. That's upper level real analysis -- I've already taken a intro course -- but I've come to realize that taking that course in addition to everything else (QM, etc.) won't leave me much time for research.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted