1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Modeling

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When certain viral particles enter the bdoy, the replicate to 160% every four hours and the immune system eliminates these particular viral particles at the rate of 50000 viral particles per hour. Find an equation modeling this viral growth.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I could really just use some help getting this problem off the gound, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any thoughts? I'm not sure what you are confused about. They want you to set up an ODE with terms representing growth rate and elimination rate, right?

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3

jgens

Gold Member

I'm not exactly sure what they want me to do. My orignial thought was [itex]n = n_0(1.6^{t/4}) - 50000t[/itex] but this doesn't seem right since it assumes that every particle has the opportunity to replicate before being eliminated. I haven't done much with ODEs but if you don't mind helping me set one up, I think that I might be able to solve the problem.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that's right either. Your replication rate is independent of the number viral particles present. And it's not an ODE. Want to try again? You want an expression for dn/dt.

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5

jgens

Gold Member

I'm sorry, but do you think that you could give me a little bigger hint? I'm really struggling to do anything with dn/dt.

7. Apr 5, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's a really big hint. How about an equation of the form dn/dt=c*n-b where c and b are constants? Can you use your replication data to find c?

8. Apr 5, 2010 #7

jgens

Gold Member

So, using that hint I'm probably looking for something like . . .

[tex]\frac{dn}{dt} = (1.6)n - b[/itex]

9. Apr 5, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no. Let's go back a step. dn/dt=(growth rate)-(elimination rate), right? Growth rate should be proportional to n, also right? So you can find growth rate by solving dn/dt=c*n. What's the solution? Now if n grows by 160% in 4 hours, what's c?

10. Apr 5, 2010 #9

jgens

Gold Member

Okay, so would c = ln(1.6)/4 then?

11. Apr 5, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There you go. That's it.

12. Apr 5, 2010 #11

jgens

Gold Member

Okay, so . . .

[tex]\frac{dn}{dt} = \frac{\ln{1.6}}{4}n - 50000[/tex]

And this is a differential equation of the form

[tex]n' + P(x)n = Q(x)[/tex]

Is this right so far?

13. Apr 5, 2010 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is. But that's a little harder than it needs to be. Your equation is separable.

14. Apr 5, 2010 #13

jgens

Gold Member

How is the above DE seperable?

15. Apr 5, 2010 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the usual way. dn/(ln(1.6)*n/4-50000)=dt. All of the n's on the left, all of the t's on right. Separable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook