What are some resources for understanding mathematical moments?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mathematical moments and how they are used in probability theory. The speaker is looking for more information and is directed to search for the Moment Generating Function. This leads them to find the information they need.
Steve Drake
Hey guys,

I am trying to understand the concept of mathematical moments (as defined in this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(mathematics)), as some work I am doing relates to them.

I am looking for more information to read up but when I search maths moments I get websites not related to it. Does anyone have any good material or book chapters that covers this concept? Specifically how to recover these moments from techniques, like cumulant or laplace.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Moments are widely used in probability theory, where the transform most commonly used is called the Moment Generating Function. So if you look up that term you should find a lot of information. There is a link on the wikipedia page you cited.

Thanks mate, that moment generation function search got me what I needed.

What are "Mathematical 'Moments'"?

Mathematical "moments" are statistical measures that describe various aspects of a dataset, such as its central tendency, variability, and shape. They are used to summarize and understand the characteristics of a dataset in a concise and meaningful way.

What is the difference between the mean and the median?

The mean is the average value of a dataset, calculated by adding all the values and dividing by the number of values. The median is the middle value of a dataset when it is arranged in ascending or descending order. Unlike the mean, the median is not affected by extreme values or outliers.

What does the standard deviation represent?

The standard deviation is a measure of the spread or variability of a dataset. It measures how much the values in a dataset deviate from the mean. A higher standard deviation indicates a larger spread of values, while a lower standard deviation indicates a more concentrated dataset.

How is the mode different from the mean and median?

The mode is the most frequently occurring value in a dataset. Unlike the mean and median, it does not take into account the actual values of the dataset, only their frequency. A dataset can have multiple modes, while it can only have one mean and median.

Why are "Mathematical 'Moments'" important in data analysis?

Mathematical "moments" provide a concise and meaningful summary of a dataset, making it easier to understand and interpret. They also help in identifying patterns and trends in the data, detecting outliers, and making comparisons between different datasets. Additionally, they are used in various statistical models and techniques for data analysis and inference.