1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical 'Moments'

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    Hey guys,

I am trying to understand the concept of mathematical moments (as defined in this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(mathematics)), as some work I am doing relates to them.

I am looking for more information to read up but when I search maths moments I get websites not related to it. Does anyone have any good material or book chapters that covers this concept? Specifically how to recover these moments from techniques, like cumulant or laplace.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2
    Moments are widely used in probability theory, where the transform most commonly used is called the Moment Generating Function. So if you look up that term you should find a lot of information. There is a link on the wikipedia page you cited.

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3
    Thanks mate, that moment generation function search got me what I needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook