Mathematical notation question

In summary, mathematical notation is a system of symbols used to represent mathematical concepts and operations. It is important because it allows for concise and precise communication and can be read by understanding the meaning and function of the symbols. Some common symbols include +, -, *, /, =, <, >, and ^, and it can be used in all branches of math.
mousemouse
Hi,

I need to translate some conditions/statements into mathematical notation but my mind is drawing blank right now.

There are a set of processes p={1,2,...n} and a class of resources r={a,b,...x}.

1 set of resources must be assigned to each existing process (e.g. resource a is assigned for process 1, resource b is assigned to process 2 and so on.)

How do I translate this into mathematical notation?

thanks
mousemouse

Physics news on Phys.org
You can make it a function A from p to r (or vice versa), defined as
A(1) = a
A(2) = b

1. What is mathematical notation?

Mathematical notation is a system of symbols, characters, and formatting conventions used to represent mathematical concepts and operations. It allows for concise and precise communication of mathematical ideas and equations.

2. Why is mathematical notation important?

Mathematical notation is important because it allows for a universal language to communicate complex mathematical ideas and equations. It also allows for consistency and efficiency in writing and solving mathematical problems.

3. How do I read mathematical notation?

Mathematical notation can be read by understanding the meaning and function of the symbols and characters used. It is important to pay attention to the order of operations and any special formatting conventions used.

4. What are some common mathematical notation symbols?

Some common mathematical notation symbols include: + for addition, - for subtraction, * for multiplication, / for division, = for equality, < for less than, > for greater than, and ^ for exponentiation.

5. Can mathematical notation be used in all branches of math?

Yes, mathematical notation can be used in all branches of math, including algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. However, different branches may have their own specific symbols and conventions.