1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical notation

1. Jul 20, 2005 #1
    T is an index set. And for each [tex]t \in T[/tex] [tex] A_t [/tex] is a set
    [tex]\bigcup_{t \in T} A_t = \{x : \exists t \in T with x \in A_t \}[/tex]
    What means this [tex]\bigcup[/tex] symbol and entire expression?
    And question on index set: is it used just for orderring any other set?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the union. If A and B are sets, [itex]A\cup B[/itex] denotes the union of A and B. It's that set which contains all the elements of A and those of B. So
    [tex]A \cup B = \{x|x\in A \vee x\in B\}[/tex]

To generalize this to a union of an arbitrary number of sets is easy. That's exactly what your expression is: the union of all [itex]A_t[/itex].

4. Jul 20, 2005 #3
    thank you very much, Galileo!
    What about my guess about "index set"?

5. Jul 20, 2005 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't understand what you meant exactly, but I think you have the right idea. The index set is just there to label the other sets. This way you can make T finite, countably infinite or uncountably infinite with the same notation. So the collection of sets A_t may be a finite, or infinite collection of any cardinality.

6. Oct 25, 2009 #5
    I just stumbled onto this post and it relates exactly to what I'm trying to figure out. This concept of an index set is very baffling to me. Can you give a little more detail on what exactly an index set is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?