What are the applications of PDEs in theoretical physics?

• Thread starter Ammo1337
  • Start date
In summary, PDEs (partial differential equations) are crucial in theoretical physics as they are used to model and describe physical phenomena in various fields such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are essential for predicting and understanding the behavior of complex systems and have applications in a wide range of areas including astrophysics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. PDEs also play a crucial role in the development of new theories and models in physics, making them a fundamental tool for theoretical physicists.
Ammo1337
Hello! Maths and Physics combined honours student due to graduate next year, one day hoping to do a PhD in the study of PDEs and their applications.. and then I'll probably become a quant given how tough academia is. Hope to see you guys along the struggle!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Both math and physics, eh? You're a dangerous one. Lol jk. I have to ask tho. Which one do you prefer?

Likes Ammo1337
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF Ammo!

Thank you!

Feynstein100 said:
Hello. Both math and physics, eh? You're a dangerous one. Lol jk. I have to ask tho. Which one do you prefer?

Haha I have to say it's a tough cookie. Physics is more interesting however I did get quite sick of lab work because you know, they never damn worked out as they should.. plus the exams are harder and more broad in general. I do prefer the elegance of all the mathemetical proofs and derivations that (mostly) come very nicely from the mathematics units. For example the mechanics unit I had taught from the maths department was pretty much derived entirely from first principles, however I find the application to physical situation far more interesting.

Sadly all things in life cannot be derived as such and some things are just empirical. Woe is me.

So overall for academics I would say mathematics, for outside the classroom perhaps physics. Once I get to the master's level the line between theoretical physics and mathematics closes a fair bit I imagine. I feel like I'm a mathematician with a heavy interest in the theory of physics.

Just keep the oscilloscopes and breadboards away from me, lol.

Likes PeroK
Lol don't worry. I'm a more theoretical physics man myself. Experimental is meh. Math is the key to the universe :)