1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical physics career

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    Hello, I believe I presented myself before, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a math/physics major at a community college. I'm going to transfer to an university for spring. However, I don't know if I should major in astrophysics, Math, or Math/Astrophysics. I want to go to graduate school to study mathematical physics. I recently did an internship on math and I really love the physical applications of some fields of math, such as topological quantum field theory and differential geometry.
    If I major in Astrophysics, it would take me 2 and half years at the univ. If I major in math, it would take me less than 2 years. And, if I do double major, it would take me 3 years at least.
    My question is: Is it worth it to spend more time and do double major in order to do mathematical physics in the future? or can I do mathematical physics having studied just math and the introductory physics as undergrad?

PD: Why doesn't this forum have a spelling check? English is not my first language, so it would be helpful to have that.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums. I don't think I can answer your main question, but regarding the spellchecker... It would be pointless to integrate a spellchecker into the forum software, since you can either use a browser (like Firefox) with a built-in spell checker, or install a spellchecker plugin into the browser you're currently using.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook