1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Mathematical Physics PhD.

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Hello!

I'm a undergraduate student in the last year of my Physics B.Sc. I've done a lot of Mathematics in a program at Ecole Polytechnique in France (Master 1 in Physics, european system). I would like to do my PhD in Mathematical Physics, I've studied some Statistical Mechanics and Exactly solvable systems, but I would like a program with others possibilites too. However I don't know which institutions are good.

If you have any recomendations I would be very glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Aron

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2
    Hi Aron, recently somethings I recently read about Stony Brook in New York made it sound like a good place for mathematical physics:

http://www.scgp.stonybrook.edu/

4. Jun 21, 2009 #3
    princeton

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4
    thanks a lot.

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    I've never been there but always thought the University of York seemed like a nice place to study mathematical physics: http://maths.york.ac.uk/www/Physics

Do you want to study in America or Europe?

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6
    Hi AronH,

Since you are at Ecole Polytechnique I reckon that you have a good level in mathematics. Wouldn't ENS (Ulm) be something for you then? I think they must have one of the strongest programs in Europe... Also, I know the University of Utrecht (that is in Holland) is very good in theoretical physics and they offer a MSc in Theoretical Physics.

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7
    ETH Zurich is also excellent.

9. Aug 23, 2009 #8
    I was considering study in America.
    But the places you have suggested seem a good option too. I will take a good look at them.
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook