1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Physics Text

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    I tried to read Classical Electrodynamics - 3rd Ed by J.D. Jackson cover to cover with the aim of working through all the homework problems. Problem: The math is too prohibitive. I need to drop that book for now and pick up a book on mathematical physics and go through that first. I'd like some recommendations for such a text. Thank you.

Pete

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2
    Even though I never had it, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas is usually recommended.

4. Feb 27, 2006 #3
    Thanks. Much appreciated. Actually that is a text already on my list. I'm going to my old alma matta tommorow to pick up a few math-methods in physics text. I'd like to pick up a few of them to compare. Then I can decide which one to actually buy.

Pete

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know whether they are still in print but Butkov's book was a very good one as well as Arfken's. If you want to dig much deeper into the theory Whittaker and Watson is the classic.

6. Mar 1, 2006 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Morse & Feshbach is the book that has them all. Trust me...

Daniel.

7. Mar 3, 2006 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We spent a semester with Matthews and Walker before embarking on Jackson. It prepared us well for what was about to come up.

8. Mar 4, 2006 #7
    Hassani's book is also good for certain things at the graduate level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?