Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Physics Text

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    I tried to read Classical Electrodynamics - 3rd Ed by J.D. Jackson cover to cover with the aim of working through all the homework problems. Problem: The math is too prohibitive. I need to drop that book for now and pick up a book on mathematical physics and go through that first. I'd like some recommendations for such a text. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2
    Even though I never had it, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas is usually recommended.
  4. Feb 27, 2006 #3
    Thanks. Much appreciated. Actually that is a text already on my list. I'm going to my old alma matta tommorow to pick up a few math-methods in physics text. I'd like to pick up a few of them to compare. Then I can decide which one to actually buy.

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know whether they are still in print but Butkov's book was a very good one as well as Arfken's. If you want to dig much deeper into the theory Whittaker and Watson is the classic.
  6. Mar 1, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Morse & Feshbach is the book that has them all. Trust me...

7. Mar 3, 2006 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We spent a semester with Matthews and Walker before embarking on Jackson. It prepared us well for what was about to come up.
  8. Mar 4, 2006 #7
    Hassani's book is also good for certain things at the graduate level.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?