Self-Studying Mathematical Physics: Books & Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the best book for self-study in mathematical physics and the recommended study approach. It is suggested to have prior knowledge in calculus and to practice problems and seek help when needed. The book "Mathematical Methods in Physical Science" by Mary Boas is mentioned as a good reference but may not be suitable for self-study.
solace28
hi,
please suggest me a good book/s for selfstudy on mathematical physics, which gives a detailed explanation, and how should be the study approach for selfstudying, i feel I'm good at algebra :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematical Physics is generally not a subject that lends itself to casual self-study. How much math have you had? "Being good at algebra" won't count for much if you don't know how to integrate, among other things.

i need to brush calculus part a liitle :) , i read good reviews on amazon about "Mathematical methods in physical science" by Mary Boas, planning to buy it.

Boas' book is a good reference, not sure I'd recommend it for someone who is looking to self-study.

What are some good books for self-studying mathematical physics?

Some popular books for self-studying mathematical physics are "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George Arfken and Hans Weber, and "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V.I. Arnold.

Do I need a strong background in mathematics to self-study mathematical physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary for self-studying mathematical physics. You should have a good understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before diving into this subject.

What is the best approach for self-studying mathematical physics?

The best approach for self-studying mathematical physics is to start with a solid understanding of the basic mathematical concepts and then gradually build upon them. It is important to practice problems and work through proofs to fully grasp the material.

Are there any online resources available for self-studying mathematical physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-studying mathematical physics. You can find lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials on various websites, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

Is self-studying mathematical physics a viable alternative to taking a formal course?

Self-studying mathematical physics can be a viable alternative to taking a formal course, but it requires dedication and self-discipline. It is important to have a clear study plan and seek help from online resources or a mentor if needed. However, taking a formal course may offer more structured learning and access to a qualified instructor.