1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Prerequisites

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    I'm interested in taking Classical and Quantum Mechanics courses next year at my university; however, I won't be able to take the prerequisite mathematics courses due to scheduling conflicts. I have taken differential calculus, integral calculus, and vector calculus and I will be taking an Ordinary Differential Equations course over the summer. If anyone could supply me or direct me to a list of suggested concepts, it'd be extremely beneficial. Books, websites, etc - whatever will explain the concepts thoroughly. A detailed, sequential list would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    Linear Algebra for quantum.

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    Thank you, but I was wondering if you could be a little more specific. I understand that large-scale concepts such as linear algebra and partial differential equations are necessary, but what specific concepts should I note to help me with Classical and Quantum Mechanics?

5. May 4, 2010 #4
    Lagrange multipliers, scalar products, dual space vectors, commutators, lie brackets, variational calculus, principal value decomposition, Hilbert spaces, operators and their eigenfunctions

That should cover your bases.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook