Mathematical Reformulation of Polarization Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving the substitution of a vector equation into an integral. The author of the book suggests using the convolution theorem to solve the integral, which involves taking the Fourier transforms of the equations and multiplying them before taking the inverse Fourier transform. The conversation ends with the offer of further assistance if needed.
spookyfw
Hello,

I hope I got the section right ;). I orginally posted this in the physics section, but as the problem is more mathematical. It would be nice if someone knows the right direction.

I've stumbled upon a math problem while going through some physics and got stuck with some mathematical cosmetics (pp. 40). It is the substition of:
[tex] \vec{P_L}(\vec{r},t) = \frac{1}{2} \hat{x} \left(P_L \exp{(-i \omega_0 t)} + c.c.\right) [/tex]
into
[tex] \vec{P_L}(\vec{r},t) = \epsilon_0 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \chi^{(1)} (t-t') \cdot E(\vec{r},t') dt' [/tex]
According to the author of the book (Agrawal, 'Nonlinear Fiber Optics') this should result in:
[tex] P_L(\vec{r},t) = \epsilon_0 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\chi^{(1)}_{xx} (t-t') \cdot E(\vec{r},t') \exp{(i \omega_0 (t-t'))} dt' [/tex]
under the assumption that the tensor [itex] \chi [/itex] was diagonal, lumping [itex] \hat{x} [/itex] and [itex] \chi^{(1)} (t-t') [/itex] together makes sense. But what I don't get is how to integrate the exponentials into the integral. It looks like the shift theorem, but the sum of the two exponentials leaves me puzzled. Can anyone give me a hint?

Thank you very much in advance,
spookyfw

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello spookyfw,

Thank you for posting your question in this forum. I can understand the confusion you are facing in trying to integrate the exponentials into the integral. Let me try to guide you in the right direction.

Firstly, it is important to note that the integral you are dealing with is a convolution integral, which is a common operation in mathematics and physics. In order to solve this integral, you can use the convolution theorem, which states that the Fourier transform of a convolution is the product of the Fourier transforms of the individual functions.

In this case, the function you are integrating is the product of the time-domain function \chi^{(1)}(t-t') and the frequency-domain function \exp{(i \omega_0 (t-t'))}. So, to solve this integral, you can use the convolution theorem and take the Fourier transforms of both these functions. Then, you can multiply the Fourier transforms and take the inverse Fourier transform to find the solution.

I hope this helps to clarify the process for you. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask for more guidance. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is the purpose of reformulating the polarization equation?

The purpose of reformulating the polarization equation is to simplify its mathematical representation and make it easier to solve for unknown variables. This can also help in making predictions and understanding the behavior of polarized materials.

2. What are the key differences between the original and reformulated polarization equations?

The original polarization equation is a vector equation that accounts for both the magnitude and direction of polarization. The reformulated equation, on the other hand, is a scalar equation that only considers the magnitude of polarization.

3. How does the reformulated polarization equation affect the study of polarized materials?

The reformulated polarization equation provides a more simplified and efficient way to analyze and study the behavior of polarized materials. It allows for easier calculations and predictions, which can aid in the design and development of new materials with specific polarization properties.

4. Are there any limitations to the reformulated polarization equation?

Like any mathematical model, the reformulated polarization equation has its limitations. It assumes certain simplifications and may not accurately represent all types of polarization phenomena. Additionally, it may not be applicable to highly complex systems or materials with non-linear polarization behavior.

5. Can the reformulated polarization equation be applied to other physical phenomena?

Yes, the principles behind the reformulated polarization equation can be applied to other physical phenomena that involve the alignment or orientation of particles or molecules, such as ferromagnetism or liquid crystal displays. However, the specific equations and parameters may differ depending on the phenomenon being studied.