Math Symbols in PF 4.0 - Where Did It Go?

In summary, the previous version of PF had a list of mathematical symbols for easy selection, but this feature is not available in PF 4.0. Users suggest using Detexify or learning LaTeX. The symbol selector was a custom plugin and cannot be brought back. Some other changes in PF 4.0 include the absence of a link in profiles for threads started and the watched threads link. The watched threads link is the most useful for finding all threads a user has posted in. A list of threads started can be found through advanced search. The LaTeX Guide link below the editor provides a comprehensive guide on using LaTeX symbols. Users express the need for a cheat sheet with frequently used symbols. Math symbols have been added back through the sigma button
PFuser1232
In the previous version of PF, there was some sort of list from which one can select mathematical symbols (for the LaTex layman). However, I can't seem to find this option in PF 4.0.
Can someone please tell me where it got moved to (if not deleted)?
This feature was extremely helpful and convenient for me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why not just start using Detexify? You draw a symbol and it will provide you with its LaTeX code.

It's still not as convenient as having a drop-down list with a lot more symbols than you would need. I hope the admins look into the matter as soon as possible.

Be sure we want these tools back as well. There are plenty of small things that need to be done, this is one of them. I am not saying we will copy identical approach, but having these symbols handy was always important.

In the meantime - treat this situation as an opportunity to learn LaTeX, it is not that difficult ;)

Likes Fredrik and PFuser1232
The popup latex symbol selector that we had before won't return. It was a custom plugin for that software that can't be ported over.

Likes PFuser1232
Among the other changes that I have noticed is the absence of a link in my profile which takes me to the list of threads I have started since joining PF. I would be very grateful if you could help me out with this matter.

I don't know whether that option is gone, or if it's perhaps moved somewhere I haven't looked in.

MohammedRady97 said:
Among the other changes that I have noticed is the absence of a link in my profile which takes me to the list of threads I have started since joining PF. I would be very grateful if you could help me out with this matter.
Go to My PF->Your content

Bandersnatch said:
Go to My PF->Your content
I can only find the threads I started after the launch of PF 4.0.

MohammedRady97 said:
I can only find the threads I started after the launch of PF 4.0.
Hmm, it shows quite a lot more for me. Did you try clicking "find older posts" at the bottom of the listed posts?

MohammedRady97 said:
The most useful link of that sort is under "forums"-->" watched threads". Then click on "there may be more to view". This isn't just the threads you've started. For me it's every thread I've posted in, and not chosen to stop watching, but it depends on your settings.

A list of all the threads you've started can be found with an advanced search. It's a bit more complicated than having a quick link for it of course, but how often do you want to see all the threads you've started? I don't think I've done that once in the past five years.

Likes PFuser1232
Fredrik said:
The most useful link of that sort is under "forums"-->" watched threads". Then click on "there may be more to view". This isn't just the threads you've started. For me it's every thread I've posted in, and not chosen to stop watching, but it depends on your settings.

A list of all the threads you've started can be found with an advanced search. It's a bit more complicated than having a quick link for it of course, but how often do you want to see all the threads you've started? I don't think I've done that once in the past five years.

The watched threads link is what I was looking for, thank you! :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
The popup latex symbol selector that we had before won't return. It was a custom plugin for that software that can't be ported over.

This is a much needed feature. It is a readily available cheat sheet for quick reference that is needed.

Borek said:
In the meantime - treat this situation as an opportunity to learn LaTeX, it is not that difficult ;)

It is not because someone doesn't know latex, it's just that we don't necessarily write latex code all day long and have everything in memory.

This should be a great start to create your own add-on.

I don't think that it would be worth the effort to write a plugin.

If you click the LATEX PREVIEW button below the editor, you will see a link that says "LaTeX Guide" in the lower right corner. That link will take you to a page that contains all the codes you need and an explanation of how to use them at Physics Forums.

Fredrik said:
If you click the LATEX PREVIEW button below the editor, you will see a link that says "LaTeX Guide" in the lower right corner. That link will take you to a page that contains all the codes you need and an explanation of how to use them at Physics Forums.

That is not a cheat sheet, it is a book on how to use Latex. You have to search way too much to find the frequently used symbols list and when you find it, there is no symbol, only a written definition. The only useful thing for a cheat sheet is a link hidden behind the word here at the end of that list which link to http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/LaTeX:Symbols [Broken]. I would prefer the LaTeX Guide link to go there directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DataGG
Math symbols are back Click the sigma button in the editor. @Chestermiller

Last edited:
Likes ehild, jtbell, HakimPhilo and 1 other person
√ σκ

Greg Bernhardt said:
Math symbols are back Click the sigma button in the editor.

γρεατ! :D

Thanks.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Math symbols are back Click the sigma button in the editor.

Amazing! Thanks, Greg.

ehild

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks!

I hadn't noticed this yet. How awesome. Thanks Greg.

1. What are the common math symbols used in PF 4.0?

The most common math symbols used in PF 4.0 are: addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (* or x), division (/ or ÷), and equal (=).

2. Why can't I find the math symbols in PF 4.0?

In PF 4.0, the math symbols are located under the "Symbols" tab in the toolbar. If you are unable to find them, try checking your toolbar settings or updating your software.

3. Are there any new math symbols in PF 4.0?

Yes, PF 4.0 has introduced some new math symbols such as the square root (√), greater than or equal to (≥), less than or equal to (≤), and not equal to (≠).

4. Can I customize the math symbols in PF 4.0?

Yes, you can customize the math symbols in PF 4.0 by adding your own symbols or rearranging the existing ones. This can be done through the toolbar settings or by creating a custom toolbar.

5. How can I learn the keyboard shortcuts for math symbols in PF 4.0?

You can find a list of keyboard shortcuts for math symbols in PF 4.0 by going to the "Help" menu and selecting "Keyboard Shortcuts". You can also customize or create your own shortcuts through the toolbar settings.