Maxwell's Equations Tattoo: Ideas & Designs

In summary, the conversation revolved around getting a mathematical tattoo, with suggestions ranging from Maxwell's Equations to Euler's Formula and the Golden Ratio. Some participants shared their own experiences with tattoos, while others gave advice on trying out different designs before committing to one. There were also some humorous comments about tattoos on sensitive body parts. Ultimately, the group was split on whether or not getting a mathematically-themed tattoo was a good idea.
Nothing000
I am thinking about getting a tattoo of Maxwells Equations on my back.
I would want them to basically cover my back. I would have one in each "quadrant" of my back. What do you guys think?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why not content yourself with a [itex]\pi[/itex] on your willie?

why sotp there...go for the natural number e and the golden ratio...then draw the golden ratio...adn mmm pythatgorean theorem...or maybe some more geometry theorems

if you were going to get a mathematically tattooo...i wouldn't get maxeq'ns
Go for soem time of fractal. or just create the entire cribsheet on your back for first and 2nd year physics =]

Pythogorean theorem??
Does that involve the hytopenoose?

Nothing000 said:
What do you guys think?

Don't do it. Not that I dislike tattoos (in fact I have a bunch of those myself) but when someone asks you the traditional "what do your tattoos mean"-question you're in for a long explanation.

Nothing000 said:
I am thinking about getting a tattoo of Maxwells Equations on my back.
I would want them to basically cover my back. I would have one in each "quadrant" of my back. What do you guys think?
I don't like tattoos, but this idea is so out of the ordinary that I prefer it to other tattoo ideas. The ultimate success or failure of the idea would depend on how it's composed visually, and the style and colors.

Start off by getting some pictures of your back, and then photoshop what you want onto them. Blow these up to poster size, hang them around your place. If you can still stand them after a few months, then take the original images and photoshop them into what you'll look like when you're middle aged and out of shape. If you can still stand these after a few months, then go for it.

arildno said:
Why not content yourself with a [itex]\pi[/itex] on your willie?
Why not content yourself with your willie in a [itex]\pi[/itex] ? That's nearly as good as the real thing - or so says the movie.

Actually, Gokey, that hurts a lot. (at least the warm apple version of it)

Screw it, I am getting E=mc^2 on the back of my neck. Where everyone can see it.

I am about to go to the tatoo parlor here is an hour or two, so suggestions would be appreciated.

I can do it now bcuasse I am preety damn drunk right new.

i think i want to get eulers formula on my lower back. I've wanted it a while now. i thought that or the golden ratio since i think they're both "pretty" ideas. but eulers looked nice written down.

I won't feel a damn thng!

Nothing000 said:
I can do it now bcuasse I am preety damn drunk right new.

Most tattoo artists will not do ze inking if you go in drunk.

F it. I am going to go it now. I am going to tke my cacluls book with me and just pick a theorim out of the book when I gett their. I ap so damn hyped! Hell Yeah!

inha said:
Most tattoo artists will not do ze inking if you go in drunk.
The owner is my uncle.

I am sure you won't regret it! After all girls are always looking for that tough guy tattoo look. But WAIT! Make friggin sure you tell them it chineese script for something cool.

Like kung pao chicken.

Whadda bout this one?

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A50927/high/bmegl141093.jpg

Or this??

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A41118/high/tattoo4.jpg

In my opinon, women's arms should never be thick enough to write complete words across them, including extra space for centering. :uhh:

- Warren

I got "courage" in Japanese tattooed to my right bicep (I would include a picture if I had one).

But get this: It looks all "cool" and everything but when I flex my arm and look in the mirror, it looks like the square root of x (so in a way, I satisfy both the complete badass in me and the latent nerd inside)

Let me see if I can try to upload a picture.

Here, I've got a pic. See for yourself:

Attachments

• MyTattoo.JPG
    MyTattoo.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 404
I got [tex]\pi[/tex] tattooed on my ass (left side), let me see if I can upload a pic.

Penile tattoo, now that would hurt!

mattmns said:

Penile tattoo, now that would hurt!
I agree.
Just imagine getting pricked so many times in such a sensitive place..

Yeah! Basically being pricked
In your prick,
would freak you up.

Nothing000 said:
The owner is my uncle.
Well, I may be too late, but I'd recommend that you try the tatoo out before you get one. Try different ones out, and see what kind of reactions you get. Try different ones for a few days, including a party, a date, some participation sports, etc.

You do know how to try a tatoo out before you get it, right? Bet your uncle knows...

what is this, attack of the super nerds? get a tattoo of maxwell's equations if you want to be laughed at your entire life. having the equations in your head should be good enough.

I had an ex's name tattoo'd on my penis. Her name was Wendy and I was aroused when it was applied so when I'm soft all you can see is the W and Y. One day I was in a public restroom and this big guy was standing next to me at the urinals. I looked over and he had a W Y on his penis too. I said oh, I see you have a girlfriend named Wendy too. He looked at me strangely and I showed him my tatto. I pulled it and said "See, Wendy" he laughed and said mine says "Welcome to Jamaica Mon, Have a Nice Day."

Gale said:
i think i want to get eulers formula on my lower back. I've wanted it a while now. i thought that or the golden ratio since i think they're both "pretty" ideas. but eulers looked nice written down.

i've thought about getting euler's equation put somewhere not very obvious like my ankle. I'm not good enough at math though to justify doing something like that (yet).

Homer Simpson said:
Or this??
http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A41118/high/tattoo4.jpg
I hope that's just good photoshopping. Because it's geekier than the <geek> tattoo:eek: :bugeye:

yomamma said:
I hope that's just good photoshopping. Because it's geekier than the <geek> tattoo:eek: :bugeye:

Im 99.9% sure it is. Look at the distortion around the "div align center"

You can see where the pixels are distorted around it, signs of a copy/paste. Pretty good job on the rest of them though. Some of the letters don't follow the contors quite right either.

tribdog said:
I had an ex's name tattoo'd on my penis. Her name was Wendy and I was aroused when it was applied so when I'm soft all you can see is the W and Y. One day I was in a public restroom and this big guy was standing next to me at the urinals. I looked over and he had a W Y on his penis too. I said oh, I see you have a girlfriend named Wendy too. He looked at me strangely and I showed him my tatto. I pulled it and said "See, Wendy" he laughed and said mine says "Welcome to Jamaica Mon, Have a Nice Day."

lmao:rofl: :rofl:

I was thinking of getting a tattoo of the prime number thoerem on my bicep...

Gale said:
i think i want to get eulers formula on my lower back.
You mean right above your ass?

I don't know about you guys, but getting math tattoos isn't quite as cool as getting... NOT math tattoos.

<h2>1. What are Maxwell's Equations?</h2><p>Maxwell's Equations are a set of four mathematical equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to understanding electromagnetism.</p><h2>2. Why would someone get a tattoo of Maxwell's Equations?</h2><p>Many people who get a Maxwell's Equations tattoo are scientists, engineers, or enthusiasts of physics and mathematics. They may view the equations as beautiful and elegant, or they may have a personal connection to them through their work or studies.</p><h2>3. What are some design ideas for a Maxwell's Equations tattoo?</h2><p>Some popular design ideas for a Maxwell's Equations tattoo include a simple black ink representation of the equations, incorporating symbols such as the Greek letter "phi" for electric flux, or adding color to highlight different parts of the equations.</p><h2>4. Are there any potential meanings behind a Maxwell's Equations tattoo?</h2><p>The meaning behind a Maxwell's Equations tattoo can vary from person to person. Some may see it as a symbol of their love for science and knowledge, while others may see it as a reminder of the beauty and complexity of the universe.</p><h2>5. Are there any considerations to keep in mind before getting a Maxwell's Equations tattoo?</h2><p>As with any tattoo, it is important to carefully consider the design, placement, and artist before getting a Maxwell's Equations tattoo. It is also important to make sure that the equations are accurate and correct, as they are a fundamental part of science and should be represented correctly.</p>

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four mathematical equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to understanding electromagnetism.

2. Why would someone get a tattoo of Maxwell's Equations?

Many people who get a Maxwell's Equations tattoo are scientists, engineers, or enthusiasts of physics and mathematics. They may view the equations as beautiful and elegant, or they may have a personal connection to them through their work or studies.

3. What are some design ideas for a Maxwell's Equations tattoo?

Some popular design ideas for a Maxwell's Equations tattoo include a simple black ink representation of the equations, incorporating symbols such as the Greek letter "phi" for electric flux, or adding color to highlight different parts of the equations.

4. Are there any potential meanings behind a Maxwell's Equations tattoo?

The meaning behind a Maxwell's Equations tattoo can vary from person to person. Some may see it as a symbol of their love for science and knowledge, while others may see it as a reminder of the beauty and complexity of the universe.

5. Are there any considerations to keep in mind before getting a Maxwell's Equations tattoo?

As with any tattoo, it is important to carefully consider the design, placement, and artist before getting a Maxwell's Equations tattoo. It is also important to make sure that the equations are accurate and correct, as they are a fundamental part of science and should be represented correctly.