Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Mathematically model airflow over an aerofoil

1. Oct 29, 2003 #1

I'm looking for someone who could explain how I can mathematically model airflow over an aerofoil using the "correct theory of lift" - Turning airflow.

I have tried several approaches but all fail because of one step... all text books I have read on the subject say that the airflow velocity parallel to the horizontal is constant. Therefore the air must accelerate over the aerofoil because velocity must change. The forces required for this to happen act on the aerofoil through the viscous forces of the air. I have however not even got this far in my model because...

Taking any equation for one surface of an aerofoil, at least two parts of it have a 0 gradient. When I differentiate this equation to get velocity, at these points I therefore have infinite velocity, which is obviously not the case.

Please can anybody guide me in the right direction as I am obviously doing something terribly wrong!?
    Thanks, Chris
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Come on now, you know bloody well this isn't atomic physics.

I'm moving this to the Aeronautical Engineering Forum, where it will probably get more attention.
  4. Nov 1, 2003 #3
    Re: Airflow

Not exactly sure what you mean. Try looking up "Potential Flow Theory" or "Stream Function Theory", both of which are complementary (really just perpendicular to each other) theories in low speed inviscid aerodynamics.

For a start, the velocity parallel to a surface need not be constant. Don't forget viscosity :wink:. The textbooks you were reading were probably (no offense) lower level aerodynamic ones or physics texts which don't deal with issues like separation or shear layers...

See above. The maths can get quite detailed for all but the simplest geometries. At at introductory level, you are probably best off modelling your 'aerofoil' as a flat plate with a small inclination, or a semi-circle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?