Can Mathematics Improve Strategy in the Game of Go?

In summary, the conversation discusses a book called "Mathematics and Go" that explores the application of math to the ancient game of Go. However, the use of surreal numbers in the game poses a challenge. The conversation then shifts to the topic of finding weaknesses in networks and how this can impact algorithmic efficiency. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of creating a computer program that can compete at a professional level in Go, and asks for resources on graph theory and finding defects in graphical constructions.
Tenshou
There is a book out there called Mathematics and Go (or the other way around, I am not sure). This book talks about an ancient game called Go (or in Chinese 围棋*wéiqì*) and the application of math to it, I think it can be done better since it does deal with surreal numbers and those do not really make sense to me. What I am trying to get at is, knowing that it is just graphical constructions(of networks) how do you find the weak points in the network? Is it possible to find such weakness in them? I believe things like this can make or break algorithmic efficiency, also to add insult to injury I head that there is no computer program on this planet that can be a 9p. Hope that will change. So, does anyone know anything about Graph Theory, Network Deficiencies(How to find defects in Graphical construction), and are you willing to lead me towards resources in which I, myself, can find how these works. So much please and thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What are the basic rules of Go?

The objective of Go is to surround more territory than your opponent. Players take turns placing stones on a board, with the goal of creating and capturing territory. Stones can also be used to capture the opponent's stones.

2. How is the score determined in Go?

The score in Go is determined by the number of empty points (or territory) that a player has surrounded, plus the number of their opponent's stones that have been captured. The player with the higher score wins the game.

3. What is the mathematical complexity of Go?

The mathematical complexity of Go is extremely high, with the number of possible positions on the board being greater than the number of atoms in the known universe. This makes it a challenging and interesting game for mathematicians to study.

4. How is probability used in the game of Go?

Probability is often used in the game of Go to determine the likelihood of certain moves or outcomes. Players must consider the probability of their opponent's moves and potential outcomes in order to make strategic decisions.

5. Are there any mathematical strategies or theories that can be applied to Go?

Several mathematical strategies and theories have been developed for Go, including combinatorial game theory, graph theory, and Monte Carlo simulations. However, due to the complexity of the game, it is often difficult to apply these theories in practice.